02: GETTING ALONG

Previously...

Due to the deterioration of your grandmother's health, you both journey to the Encanto for her long time friend – Alma and her family, to take care of you. Introduced to the matriarch, you explore the magical and sentient house of the Madrigals, meeting a boy named Camilo and his mother Pepa along the way. Dinner approaches and you meet all the other members of the family, most notably a little girl named Mirabel, who happily welcomes you to their home.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

As the stars twinkled in the midnight sky and the moon covered the Encanto with its ethereal glow, two children slept peacefully, tired from arguing over who you should share a bed with in the nursery. In the end, you decided to sleep on the ground, finding it quite comfy with the mattress and the sheets you were given. Yet you couldn't fall asleep, only staring at the ceiling. You were so used to laying beside your abuela that it felt odd to sleep by yourself. Sure, you had Mirabel and Camilo to keep you company, but you weren't used to sleeping on your own... well, mattress.

To hopefully ease your restlessness, you sought out to find some water to drink, yet noticed that there wasn't any in the room. You tiptoed to the door, opening it quietly to not wake either of the sleeping children. Trudging down the steps, realization struck you. Where was the kitchen again?

"Um... Casita? Are you awake?" You whispered to avoid waking anyone up.

A lone tile lifted in response to your query, as if to say yes.

"Can you tell me where the kitchen is?"

The tiles flipped as quietly as they could, shifting the patterns to make them point to the kitchen.

"Thanks, Casita!"

Following the patterns, you immediately froze when you see a figure that was slightly hunched over, rummaging around the cupboards. Whatever this monster was, they should really work on their posture.

You yelped quietly when the figure turned around, standing straight and unveiling their hood while bringing the candle lantern up to see who or what made the noise. Relief flooded you as the figure became more visible. It wasn't a monster, it was just a man with chin-length, curly black hair and light bags under his eyes, wearing a green ruana with a hood as patterns of hourglasses decorated its sleeve area. He looked visibly frightened, chanting 'sana, sana, colita de rana' under his breath repeatedly and lightly knocking on the wooden counter.

Now that you look at him, he kind of resembles the man in the mural. Mysterious and devoid of color. Well, from fear, that is.

"U-uh... I won't let you hurt my family, w-whatever you are, show yourself...!"

Did he think you were some kind of ghost out to get him or something?

You step closer to reveal yourself and the man visibly relaxes.

"Oh... it's just you. Um... what are you doing out here? You should be asleep, it's past midnight!"

"I couldn't sleep, and I was going to get some water to drink. I thought some monster was raiding the house, but it was just you señor, uh..."

You began to ponder his name for a bit. Everyone had introduced themselves to you during dinner, but with the amount of members the family had, it was a bit difficult to keep track, especially when you were constantly getting distracted by two certain kids.

The man's eyes went downcast for a moment. Of course you'd forgotten, no one ever pays any mind to him. His presence was deemed woeful the moment his gift surfaced, bringing anyone who came to him bad fortunes, which almost shunned him from the community and his family.