13: REKINDLED TIES

Previously...

After the collapse, you bolt off to the river alone, causing Mirabel follow you as you both have a heart-to-heart conversation when Abuela suddenly joins in, admitting that she is the reason why the family's broken. Finally, you both reassure the old woman, but shortly after, Bruno attempts to defend you both, making him finally reconcile with his mother and family while they fuss about your wound. The whole town then gathers to rebuild Casita to show their gratitude to the Madrigals.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Fiddling with the gauze on your head, Julieta delicately removes the bandage with ease as she rinses a washcloth with warm, soapy water and gently dabs it around your wound, frequently asking if it hurt or not. Your answer was always the same, maybe except for the first few times, but it's been long enough to the point where you forgot the gash was even there in the first place. As usual, the Madrigals were always eager to help, practically treating you like royalty. It was nice, but it did make you feel bad at times, which they took notice of, constantly reminding you to not worry about a thing, which didn't exactly make you feel better, but you couldn't really complain.

The caring woman then wrapped a clean new bandage on your head, all the while patting and stroking it affectionately.

"Thanks tía, as always."

"Not a problem corazón. If you need any help, just come to me, alright? You've been doing your best to try and assist around here, but I don't want you to overdo it."

That's what everyone kept telling you, but you couldn't stand not being able to do anything and just sit around all day. Besides, Casita needs all the help it can get. Speaking of the house, it was almost complete, yet there was still a lot of work to be done. Though, with the continued efforts of everyone else, rebuilding took almost no time at all. The townsfolk were doing their part, even the children, which made you wonder why that kid who frequently drinks coffee was allowed to use a hammer unsupervised when you were rarely even permitted to stick a bunch of tiles in the floor without a Madrigal looking over you.

Oh well, no use in mulling over less work. Heading to the doorway of the main exit, your descent down the short steps came to a halt when you hear a dramatic sigh just below you. Glancing down, you see the well-built figure of Mariano, sitting on the stairs with a dejected look.

"Hey Mariano, why so blue?"

"I... just have so much love inside."

"Actually, I may know someone who you can share that love with. Have you met Dolores?"

Said woman seemingly appears out of nowhere, making you recoil in surprise as she gently ushers you away. Without warning, you get pulled by Mirabel and Isabela behind a donkey as you all watch the heartfelt interaction in anticipation.

"Dolores... I see you."

"And I hear you."

"Yes!" You high five the two girls in glee, thinking about the wedding already. Even if Dolores wanted to take things slow, you couldn't wait for them to inevitably tie the knot, plus the grand festivities of the event. The sight of the blooming couple made your lips curl up into a proud smile.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Standing outside with Mirabel and Abuela, you all gaze at the now finished building. It's not the same as before... and that's okay. The spectacled girl holds your hand in hers as the elder Madrigal speaks, tone laced with contentment as she places her weathered hands on your shoulders.