04: A GIFT COULDN'T COMPARE

Previously...

Dolores informs you that she told your Abuela about your meeting with Bruno, and in an attempt to rush back home to see him, you trip and scrape your knee, causing some of the family members to fuss over you while Julieta shows her healing capability by feeding you. Guiding your abuela back to bed, she finally tells you about her condition, causing you to stay by her all day, but you wake to her being unresponsive, resulting in an outburst which was eased by Pepa's husband, Félix. After the funeral, you to lock yourself in the nursery, which causes the Madrigals to do whatever it takes to comfort you.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

It had been a few months after your abuela's passing and you had gradually reverted back to your usual cheerful self with the help of the Encanto, but mostly the Madrigals as they've been seemingly glued to your hip ever since the whole thing. It was nice how they were so willing to accept you and how they treated you, but your grandmother will always have a special place in your heart.

The morning was spent in preparation for Camilo's gift ceremony, and everyone was doing their part on the decorations and the food. As always, you also insisted on helping, which everyone appreciated.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

It was around noon when Pepa came to you – cloud above her head, asking if you've seen Camilo anywhere.

"I'll go find him, tía Pepa!"

Tía, that was what you referred to her now as she insisted on you using it, same goes for the other adults in the house. The dark cloud above her head dissipated heavily at your response.

"Oh, thank you chiquito! I'll see if I can find him as well, but if you do, bring him to Félix. He's just in the kitchen."

The weather manipulating woman patted your head affectionately before rushing off. You had a good idea of where the boy was, so you head into the nursery just to see if your intuition was right. As you open the door, you hear the sound of feet scurrying, until it stopped at your presence.

"Cami-mi, everyone's looking for you."

You sit with him on the bed as he leans on your shoulder, looking slightly moody.

"What's wrong? You were so excited for your gift ceremony."

"I am, but... what if I get a lame gift? What if I get a gift like tío Bruno's and everyone starts to hate me?"

"Hey, even if you get something like that, you can count on me for support! But I gotta be honest, whatever power you'll have, I wanna let you know that you're way more special than any gift Casita could give you."

That seemed to comfort the boy a little more as he snaked his arm around yours. It was something he did a lot, you noticed. Over time, Camilo and the rest of the Madrigals had grown increasingly more affectionate to you, which you didn't mind at all.

"Don't worry though, I'm sure Casita will give you the most awesome gift out of everyone, then you can show us your cool room and everything!"

The boy's smile grew more and more as you rambled about how cool his ability was going to be. In truth, even if he did get a less than stellar gift, he knew you'd still find it amazing, and that brought him more comfort than it should have.

"Thanks, mi vida... Alright, I think i'm ready... let's go."

Mi vida, that was what Félix usually called Pepa. The boy wasn't really sure what it implied, but he imitated it because his parents found each other special and he thought you were special. That's what it meant, right?