𝟗. 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐁𝐎𝐘

"Look, man." JJ said, his arm hanging out the window of the Twinkie. "I don't understand why you don't just try with Kiara. She clearly likes you!"

John B rolled his eyes as he drove, music blaring out of the speakers.

The blonde persisted, not phased by his friend's body language. "She's like 'Oh John B!'" He said in a sing-song voice.

"Is that what she does?"

JJ laughed. "Yeah, and you start blushing and shit."

"I blush?"

He nodded. "Yeah-"

"What about you and Elle? She literally kissed you. When you gonna' make a move?" John B asked, a small smirk on his face.

JJ shifted in his seat, looking out the window. "Ooh look at those pretty trees-."

"Don't change the subject."

The blonde rolled his eyes. "She's my bestfriend. I'm not ruining anything. Not takin' any chances."

John B opened his eyes wide, completely amused with was JJ was saying. "Oh really?"

"Yeah, really. What about it?" JJ snapped.

The brunette just laughed, in complete disbelief. "I see how you are with her, bro. I'm not even trying to make fun of you, like-"

"Listen, alright?" JJ said, cutting into John B's sentence. "She's got a lot going on with her mom and I don't think she needs me confessing a bunch of lovey-dovey shit when she can't even last 24 hours without wondering if her own mom loves her."

John B sighed. "It's getting that bad?"

The blonde just nodded and looked down.

"I still think you should tell her, man. Maybe it'll make it better. Low hanging fruit."

JJ sighed. "I promised myself by the end of this summer. I just dunno' , bro."

The brunette looked at him. He knew how much JJ cared for Elle. He knew how JJ would do anything for her. He knew how much it would take a toll on him if anything happened to her. The way JJ stares at her when she smiles, completely mesmerized by the girl's unknowing gesture. Her laugh was what kept JJ going. The only reason he got out of bed in to morning, was so he could go meet up with Elle and cause trouble. Elle was his world, and she had no idea.

John B turned to JJ and glared at him quickly. "I mean, do anything to hurt her and-."

"You think i'd try to hurt Elle?"

The brunette looked offended. "No, i'm just saying. I care a lot about her, as do you. Hurt her, and you'd have hell to pay."

On the rest of the way there, there was silence. The only sounds coming from the van or the music that played on the speakers.

The two pulled up to Mrs Lana's house, ending the awkward silence.

"Let's go." JJ said, hopping out of the van.

—————

Elle sat in her room, music streaming out of her headphones. She looked around to observe the room. The cream colored walls were covered in posters. Her surfboard leaned against on of the walls, right next to her desk.

She leaned against the headboard of the bed and took in the peacefulness. Her mom was out, probably drinking, and the summer breeze filled her room due too the open windows.

The girl only got to close her eyes for a quick second before she heard a motorcycle pull up to the house.

Her head turned quickly as she peeked her eyes out the window. To her surprise, it wasn't a murderer, or someone looking for her mom. It was Rafe Cameron, and she didn't know if that was better or worse.

She groaned as the doorbell rang, causing her to slide out of bed as her feet hit the cold floor. She opened the door with a confused look on her face.

"Uhm, Hello?" She asked, glancing at the boy. His hair was messy and his polo shirt was wrinkled.

Rafe shifted in his spot, staring Elle. "Hi." He said, straight toned.

The girl awkwardly looked around, still completely confused as to what was going on. "How did you know where I live?"

He shrugged. "Sarah told me. Nice house."

"Uh, thanks." Elle mumbled, her face getting more pale. "So why are you here...?"

Rafe stood straight up and cleared his throat. "Well, i'm gonna be honest, i'm not the soberest right now." He said, letting out a light laugh. "But we never got to finish our conversation. I was wondering if you'd wanna go out to eat with me."

The girl really didn't want to, but part of her felt bad for him, and unfortunately the other part of her had a fear of saying 'no'.

"Sure." She said, forcing a smile. "Sounds fun. Uhm, when and where?"

Rafe shrugged and leaned against the door. "How about now?" He said, a smug smile on his face.

The blonde girl glanced around, trying to look preoccupied. "Well, i'm kinda' busy right now.." She lied.

"Right now?" He said, taking a quick glance inside the house. "Doesn't seem like it."

She looked to her side and leaned against the other side of the door. "My friends are gonna pick me up in like a half hour, I really don't have time to go."

"The Pogues?" He said, rolling his eyes.

Elle nodded quietly. "Another time!" She said quickly, trying to get his attention off of her friends. "We can just go out another time."

The boy nodded hesitantly before handing his phone to her. "Number?"

She stopped for a second, deciding if she really wanted to do this, but she felt like it was wrong to say no to the islands "most-powerful-man's" son.

After a quick moment; she decided on putting in the number. She flipped her hair back as Rafe smirked at her.

"I'll see ya soon." He said, walking off towards his bike.

She smiled at him as she waved. "Yeah, bye!"

The girl stuck her head out the door as he drove away, making sure he was far-enough away before sighing in relief.

"Fuck." She mumbled under her breath, before walking back into the house.

——————

AUTHOR SPEAKS!

jj and john b talking about elle makes me want to cry i love their friendship with her sm. john b being protective >>

if i see one person say "ooh elle was flirting with rafe" i will actually kick you into the sun. elle showed absolutely NO interest in rafe so far, only doing the things he asked to please him. elle is a people pleaser. that's all.

^ due to trauma from her mom and other things (explored later) she has a deep fear of saying "no" and disappointing people. so obvi if ward's son asks her out, she has to say yes.

jj and elle are everything tbh.

sarah and elle backstory ???????

sorry for the short chapter, but i'm exhausted. hope you all enjoyed!!

xoxo, kay