𝟑𝟕. 𝐍𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐄

John B leaned his arms on one of the tables in The Wreck. "Look, he'll come around, alright? It's... he's doing a JJ thing."

"You think he'll go home?" Kie asked, staring blankly at the floor.

Elle bit her cheek before talking. "I don't think JJ goes home, ever."

Pope sighed and paced across the room. "Okay. It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off as piecemeal. So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it."

"With the crazy old lady?" Elle asked, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah, perfect plan, P. Get shot at, again."

John B nudged her arm. "Hey. Worth a shot, right?"

She shrugged in response, her arms still crossed across her chest. "Nothing to lose."

Sarah glanced at John B. "What about that thing with my dad?"

Just as Elle turned to question the boy, Pope got there first. "What thing?"

John B hesitated. "I have to go fishing with Ward."

The group all groaned as he explained the situation. This was one of those senarios where Elle was glad she didn't end up with Sarah. It was bad enough living in her house.

"You can't get 400 mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?" Kiara asked, rolling her eyes.

John B stared at the ground. "Look, I have to go."

"Blow it off!" Pope and Elle said in unison, not even wasting the time to jinx each other afterwards. Pope waited to keep talking before leaning closer to JB. "It's 400 million in gold! Make something up!"

Still, John B persisted. "Look, I— I have to. Alright? He... he saved me. And if it weren't for Ward, Elle and I would be in foster care."

He looked over at the beach blonde sitting next to him in silence. "I'm taking one for the team, right Elle?"

She clicked her tongue before nodding. "Yeah. Just let him go. We can get it afterwards."

Pope rolled his eyes. "Seriously?!"

"Yes, seriously!" Elle argued. "John B's right! The only reason we're still here is because of Ward. Just let him go on the fishing trip."

—————

Once the group had gone there separate ways, Elle agreed to meet with Kie and Pope later to check on JJ.

Since she had nothing to do to fill her time, she decided on going for a walk. A nice, relaxing walk.

She passed the houses on the street where she used to live. Old, run-down houses, but at least they were still standing. Unlike the small shack at the end of the road.

This house in particular, was the only one with caution tape around it, and was the only one with ashes covering the ground she used to run on.

Her memories were made in that house. Her first steps, her first words, her first kiss.

—————
FEBUARY 14, 2011

Elle and JJ sat on the floor of her room. Well, JJ sat up. Elle was laying on the cold wood floor, if you want to get technical.

"I'm so bored." Elle complained, throwing her arms in the air dramatically. JJ laughed in response as he flicked a lighter on and off in his hand, creating sparks that shined prominently for the few milliseconds they were there.

JJ turned to face her. "And why's Lore not here again? She could drive us somewhere or something."

The girl rolled her eyes and fiddled with the hems of her sundress. It was white with pink floral patterns. As beautiful as the dress was, she knew that the faded fabric and thin material gave away that it was from the thrift store.