𝟐𝟖. 𝐅𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐎𝐑 𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

Pope scrambled to move the wood flooring, but it was too heavy on his own. He called for the others in a menacing whisper-yell, grabbing their attention almost immediately.

They all surrounded the planks as they moved the wood, revealing a dark, bottomless seeming hole that went to through the ground.

"It's a well." Elle said, staring in disbelief down at the abandoned water source. "And it's just been here the whole time."

Pope shined his flashlight down and smiled. "Well, well, well."

John B didn't take his eyes off the empty pit. "That was a good dad joke." He leaned forward and glanced inside.

The curly haired girl shook her head. "They built this part of the house right over it."

"This is where they hid the bodies." JJ said, a complete serious tone echoing through the dark basement.

Elle smacked his arm and whispered for him to shut up. She'd been doing that a lot recently.

"So..." Pope started, glaring over at John B. "We found water."

The brunette stayed focus on the pit. "We're gonna need a really big rope."

———————

"No effing way!" Kiara yelled, pacing back and forth on the porch. "You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?"

John B glanced around the group, obviously looking for reassurance, only to earn uncomfortable shrugs.

Elle stood up from her seat next to JJ. "I'm sticking with Kie. There's no reason she should be in on this."

JJ pointed to John B and Sarah. "Look, all I care about is her cut comes out of your share."

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote. This is our thing. A Pogue thing." Kie enunciated.

Pope raised his hand. "I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this."

Elle and Kiara pointed to Pope and smiled. "Thank you!"

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John B asked, shrugging his shoulders aggressively.

Pope shook his head while glaring at the boy. "I dunno. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably."

Elle and JJ not simultaneously tilted their heads agreeingly. "Yeah, no, he was very relaxed." Elle stated.

"Most relaxed I've ever seen him." JJ agreed.

John B rolled his eyes. "That's cute guys."

"You know we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her."

The blonde next to John B finally decided to stand her ground. "Stop talking about me like i'm not here!" She yelled, mostly towards Kiara, but definitely giving Elle a slight side-eye.

"Then leave." Kie snapped back, earning an eye roll from Sarah. She glanced over at John B, shaking her head and scoffing. "I told you."

Kiara's shoulders lifted as she glared between Elle and John B. "Told him what, exactly? That's you're a liar?"

"No, that's you're a shit-talking bitch." Sarah replied angrily.

Elle watched as JJ held up money, betting with Pope on the girl's fight. She glared at the two and they slowly lowered their arms. "Money's on Elle and Kie." JJ whispered, hoping for the blonde to not hear.

"You get somebody close to you—" Kiara started, motioning towards Elle. "Like Elle, for example. Or me! Our friendship lasted a month."

Sarah glanced over at Elle, who was now standing uncomfortably with her arms behind her back. "We we're different! Elle and I were different!"