𝟐𝟑. 𝐌𝐈𝐃𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐒 (𝐏𝐓. 𝟏)

Elle Wright wasn't a Kook.

No matter how much she wished and wished. How many Kooks she became friends with, or how hard she worked. She was never a Kook.

Kiara Carrera was born a Kook. She had been born into money. Anna Carrera worked her ass off to provide Kie with the life she deserved, but Kie didn't want that life. Elle wanted that life.

That might have been the difference between Lorelai and Anna. Lorelai was a Pogue. She never worked her ass off for Elle, or married rich, or even tried. Maybe if she had put in a little effort, Elle would have grown up in a better environment. No stealing or drugs or anything like that.

Well, at least in Kook culture, those things weren't shown to the naked eye. The darkness and despair of the rich continued to lay underneath the surface.

The blonde watched from the Carrera's kitchen as Anna and Kiara fought about going to the island's biggest party of the year; Midsummers.

Elle had never gone. Lorelai always thought that the working class worked at Midsummers. The Carrera's had tried inviting Elle multiple times, but Lorelai was never in support of that "pretend rich people shit".

"You are going to Midsummers, Kiara!" Anna yelled, bringing Elle away from her thoughts. "God help me!"

Anna walked back into the kitchen, where Elle was sipping a soda. "Are you sure you don't want to go, sweetie? I'm sure you'd love it, in contrary to my own daughter." She emphasized the last part.

Elle nodded politely. She hadn't really been in the mood to party, since as much as she was aware, JJ was in jail. "I don't want to crash your party, Mrs. Anna. I really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately, I actually have no clothes."

That wasn't a lie. She'd been wearing most of Kiara and JJ's clothes for the past two weeks.

"Please." Anna begged. "Kiara won't go without someone. She hates everyone there. I'm sure a friend would help."

Elle felt joyous that someone as respected as Mike and Anna Carrera enjoyed her company. The two weren't very supportive of the Pogues friendship, but they seemed to like Elle.

I mean, most people did. Right?

The girl hesitated before looking past Anna, to see a distraught Kie with her eyes even more pleading than her mother's. She mouthed a simple "Please."

Elle nodded reluctantly. Kiara let out a relieved sigh as Anna jumped with glee.

"Okay great!" Anna said, practically pulling Elle off of her stool in the kitchen. "We ordered backup dresses for my dearest daughter. You will look great."

The three girls ran upstairs as Kiara continued complaining. "Mom! There are people not blocks from here with no power. This is so tone-deaf!"

Anna ignore Kiara's complaints as she looked at a rack of dresses. Her hand skimmed over a long, pale yellow dress. The sleeves were draped over the sides and there was a small slit in the bottom.

"That's..beautiful." Elle said, grabbing the hanger and holding the dress up. "You think I could wear this? Are you sure it's okay?"

The woman just nodded and ushered Elle into the bathroom to change. Kiara and Anna continued arguing as they waited for Elle to reveal herself.

The grand reveal.

She came out wearing the gown. The yellow stood out against her tanned skin. She had a small flower crown on with little white daises. Elle wore small seashell earring that stuck to her slightly pointed ears.