3

After school was over I offered to help Madison cram for her math test since I know she has a hard time staying focused. She declined though so I made my way to my car. Trent and Paul never showed up at lunch and I didn't even get to give them a hard time. That makes my day very unproductive.

Once I pulled in my driveway I heard my mom yelling from inside the house. She was probably on the phone with my dad. That's usually the only time she's pissed off is when she's speaking to him. Sighing internally I grabbed my bag and trudged into the house of hell.

"Well fine asshole!" Mom slammed down her cell phone and groaned as I came into the kitchen. "How was school?"

"Same old same." I shrugged.

"You were late again." She said more than asked. "I saw your first period teacher at the store on my way home."

"What do you care?"

"Brooke don't do this with me." She sighed sitting down at the breakfast bar. "I know you pull good grades but if you're continuously late they won't let you graduate."

"It was excused Mom so don't worry." I smirked. "No one is going to think I'm a wild child, and no one will think that you're less than the perfect parent."

"You're just like your father." She spat glarring at me. That was my usual que to leave the room, but she kept going. "Young and reckless, don't care what anyone thinks, so fucking full of yourself. You just worry about having a good time."

"Hmm, sounds about right Mom." I nodded. "As much as I'd love to keep talking about how I'm not the perfect child you wanted, I have plans."

She was still ranting as I headed to my room. I packed an outfit in my school bag and grabbed my work uniform. On my way out I slammed the door. See my mom and I weren't exactly close. She'd hated my existence since the day my dad walked out on us when I was seven years old. I had broad shoulders though so I can take the blame.

I guess that's what made me the way I am. Girls at school can call me a slut and a whore, but they have nothing on the things my own mother says to me. Guys can treat me like shit and leave me, but they aren't the first. My daddy broke my heart before any bad boy ever had a chance to.

That's part of why I don't date. I know what hurt feels like in more ways than one, and I have no reason to want to feel that. The only guy I ever gave a chance proved to me that no one is worth giving a chance to prove me wrong because I'm usually right.

***

I showed up at the skateboard shop on Dart Street five minutes early. I parked my car and changed my clothes in the parking lot out back. My uniform was a black shirt with the store logo and a pair of cutoff jean shorts. My boss was a chill dude most of the time as long as I showed up on time.

"Hey Frank!" I yelled as I hauled myself into the shop.

"Brooke, I'm glad you're early." Frank rounded a corned followed by another person. "This is our new employee Blaine King and I'd like you to train him. I have to pick up a shipment of new boards in the Glades."

I blinked a few times as Blaine smirked at me. "Um, sure that's no problem."

"Good then I'll leave you to it." Frank nodded walking around me and out the door leaving me alone with this tool.

"Do you even know anything about boarding?" Blaine asked me.

"I know I could make you look like an amature pretty boy." I rolled my eyes. "Let's just get this over with first though."

"Oh so you admit I'm good looking?" He smirked.

"I admit you think you're good looking." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh I see, because I tried to text this girl from school today. I swear she gave me her number, but when I texted her it wasn't her number. Now who the hell would do that?" He asked not even looking kind of mad. "Lucky me I just found out where she works."

"Let me show you around." I clenched my teeth as I tried to walk around him towards the stock room. He grabbed my wrist as I passed him stopping me gently.

"So why the wrong number?" He asked. "I mean I held up my end of the deal."

"You want the ten dollars back?"

"No, I just wanna know why you gave me a different girl's number." He let me go.

"She's more your type." I smirked. "Pretty blonde girl. She's the mayors daughter, big blue eyes, trust me she screams Blaine King's type."

"You don't know anything about me Brooke." His dark puppy dog eyes flared with anger. My heart skipped a beat as he moved closer to me trapping my body between him and a sale rack. "No one in this town knows anything about me."

I tried to stutter out a smartass response but I couldn't. I wasn't scared, but in a weird way him being pissed off like that was turning me on. My hormones must be out of whack. "I-I, uh, can you, get off me?" I mumbled out avoiding his eye contact.

He moved away from me so fast if I hadn't actually felt his body against me I'd have thought I imagined the whole thing. "I'm sorry."

I didn't even reply. I just walked around his body and gestured him to follow me. "We keep the trucks and boards here." I pointed to the door. "The bathrooms are at the end of the hall, and the stock room is the one on the right. Frank's office is the one on the left."

"Brooke, really, I didn't mean-" I cut him off.

"It's fine Blaine." I turned and faced him. "Really."

"Sinner!" I heard a familiar voice yell through the store.

"Who the hell's that?" Blaine asked.

"Paul, I'm gonna kick your ass. You better hope Trent's here too!" I yelled back.

"Who's Sinner?" Blaine cocked his head to the side.

"Brookie is Sinner." Trent smirked rounding the corner with Paul not far behind him. "That's her last name."

"And why would you wanna kick my ass?" Paul crossed his arms.

"You bet this loser he couldn't get my number!" I pointed at Blaine.

"Loser?" He snorted.

"I still can't believe you actually gave it to him though." Trent threw his arms up. "I know you better than this Brookie."

"Oh, she gave me her number alright." Blaine sighed.

"You didn't?" Paul started chuckling. "Who's number did she give you?"

"Madison's." I shrugged. "I told him she's more his type, right Trent?"

Trent clenched his jaw. "Madison's? Really?"

"Why Trent? You still jealous? Worried she might actually move on?" I teased.

He rolled his eyes knowing I was just poking the bear. "No, she can do what she wants."

"Riiiiight." I laughed. "Anyway, what'd you guys come down here for?"

"I need new wheels." Trent looked at Blaine and they walked away from Paul and I.

"We stopped by the house but your mom was bitching about you running out because you had plans so we came to see if you needed a place to crash?" Paul asked giving me a pointed look.

"That'd be great thanks." I gave him a half smile. "Where'd I be without you losers?"

"Probably dead by now." Paul laughed only half kidding and we both knew it.