20

Local businessman, Julio Valdez, dies at age 46. He was found shot in his home this past weekend. His wife discovered him when she returned with the children after a week with her parents. There are currently no suspects and anyone who knows of any information is asked to contact the local law enforcement.

The news was drumming in my mind. I'd seen it on a newspaper and on the local networks. All of them said there wasn't no suspects at this time in the death of a local business man, but I knew who did it. It was the man Nixon had made Blaine kill.

I stumbled around in the kitchen trying to be quiet. Blaine was still asleep which was unusual. It was almost ten. Felony was hopping around my feet and yapping away as I poured his food in a bowl.

*Yap yap yap*

"Shhh." I shushed him. "You're going to wake him."

I was really thinking about calling the cops and telling them everything. After all it was Nixon who'd done this really. It wasn't Blaine. I knew that wasn't how the police would see it though. Especially with his prior record.

"Morning sunshine." Blaine's voice made me jump.

*Yap yap yap*

"Uh, go-od morning." I said stumbling over words.

Blaine cocked his head as he headed to the fridge. "You okay?"

"Yeah great! Why wouldn't I be?" I chuckled nervously.

*Yap yap*

"I don't know, because you seem to be really freaking out right now?" He crossed his arms the fridge forgotten. "What's going on? Did something happen?"

I sighed and spilled it all. "The news is all over Blaine. That man you, ya know."

His eyes closed and he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Take a breath Brooke."

"Blaine they're looking for someone."

"I know. It's okay. I'm not linked in any way okay? Nixon wouldn't set me up. He's many things but he wouldn't have had me do that if he wasn't sure." He explained. "Do you want a sandwich?"

"You can't blow this off then just offer me a sandwich!" I waved an arm.

"Listen, this will blow over." He sighed. "I'm going to be fine."

I nodded and took a seat on the counter top. "He had a family."

"Huh?"

"The guy you killed." I said avoiding eye contact. "He had a wife and kids."

Blaine crossed to stand right in front of me and crouched down to my level. "He was a criminal. I was asked to kill him for stealing money for thirty kilos of cocaine. He wasn't an amazing father. His wife was divorcing his ass, and that's why she wasn't home. The kids are with her mom. He told me this himself when I went into the home. Don't let the media make you think he was a stand up guy who was innocently murdered. It's not like I don't feel bad. I checked him out myself after everything was said and done. He was a shithead."

"You still killed him." I sighed.

"And if I hadn't you'd be dead." He placed his hands on my knees.

"Maybe that's the way it was supposed to be." I shrugged.

He shook his head. "Don't say that. I did what I had to to protect you and that's the end of it. I'll always protect you Brooke. As long as I can, as long as you'll let me."

In this highly inappropriate moment my heart swelled. This boy was the one who took me in. He's taught me I was worth more than what I was settling for. He showed me a side of myself I had let go of. This boy was willing to do anything for me and I was done holding him at arms length.

"Kiss me?" I asked tentatively.

He stared at me and didn't move. "What?"

"Kiss me." I said more sure this time.

"We just talked about me killing a man and now you want me to kiss you?" He chuckled.

"Before I change my mind would be nice." I nodded.

He leaned close and placed one hand on my waist as the other caressed my cheek. "I'd do anything for you."

His lips touched mine and a fire spread through my body all the way to my soul. I felt something I haven't felt in a long time and it was so strong it almost scared me. I felt loved.

I kissed him back, wrapping one arm around his waist. The other one looping around his neck to pull him closer. I needed him as close as possible. I'd waited long enough for this kiss and it was so much better than I'd hoped.

His lips were soft but strong. He moved his lips melodically making me wasn't to curl my toes up. He was gentle in every way. I practically fell off the counter at his feet when he pulled away from me.

"Wow." I hummed out as I raised my fingers to touch my tingling lips.

"See," he smiled hugging me so his head rested on top of mine. "I told you it'd be worth the wait for you."

My cheeks heated up and blushed a deep red I'm sure. He made me feel a kind of happy I had never felt before. Blaine King was no longer stealing my heart, because I was handing it over willingly.