4

Working with Blaine was like working with a child. An annoying child at that. He just messed around and dicked off. He did know what he was doing though when it came to boards because when a guy asked him stuff he knew the answers. He was sarcastic and rude most of the day. Now It's time to close up though and I can get as far away from him as possible.

"Brooke?" Blaine yelled through the store. I'm not really sure from where at this point.

I mentally groaned. "Yes?"

"Don't say it like that ." He said rounding the corner and turning up right in front of me. "I was just gonna ask if you need a ride."

"Well thanks, but no." I went to turn around but he gripped my wrist gently.

"I really am sorry, about what happened earlier." He half smiled the dropped my hand. "See ya third period tomorrow?"

I caught myself nodding my head against my better judgement. "Yeah, see you then." Something about him was alluring and that is a really bad thing for me. I need to stay away from him.

Once I was in the safety of Trent and Paul's house I changed into pajama bottoms and a shirt that I stole from Trent. Their mom was working late at the hospital and her husband was a truck driver so much like always, he was not here. I came out of the bathroom and Trent was sitting on the couch waiting for me to join him and his brother.

"You could've started without me." I rolled my eyes sitting down and looking at the tv.

"What and break tradition? Never!" Paul smacked my arm.

"Yeah Brooke, don't be stupid." Trent flicked a skittle at me.

"Just play the damn movie." I laughed picking up the skittle and popping it in my mouth.

Every time I stay with the Shipley boys we watch The Sandlot. We've done it since we were little and their mom would babysit for me. I stay here a lot now that my mom pretty much hates my guts. They never seem to mind. I think it's because I'm like their little sister. We all could recite this movie word for word at any given time, but we still all stay quiet and watch the movie.

The movie credits were rolling and my eyes were getting heavy. I lolled my head and saw Paul was snoring in the chair. Then I looked at Trent and he nodded his head to me as he shut off the tv and dvd player.

"You can take my room Brookie." Trent said stretching his arms. "I can sleep on the couch."

"Trent I've known you all my damn life. We've taken baths together for Christ sake. If you wanna sleep in the same bed as me it's fine." I laughed.

"I just didn't wanna make you uncomfortable after what happened with-" He faded out before he said the name triggering all my heartache.

"I trust you not to take advantage of me Trent." I said flatly.

"I'm sorry Brooke." He frowned. "If it'd been up to me that punk wouldn't be breathing right now."

"Lets just not talk about Zac okay?" I silently begged him with my eyes to understand.

Gladly he got the message and nodded. "Lead the way my lady." He waved his hand toward the steps up to his room.

Some people might find my closeness with Trent and Paul unhealthy or weird, but honestly I don't trust anyone more than those two boys. They always have my back no matter what. I know they'd never hurt me, and they'll take care of anyone who does.

***

I woke up to Trent's alarm for school going off. He slammed his hand on the snooze button and snuggled closer to me in the bed. Laughing I shoved his heavy arm off me and scooted off the bottom of the bed. I stole a fast shower and got dressed in some clothes I'd left here one of the many times I'd crashed here.

"Brooke?" Mrs. Shipley asked from the kitchen table as I thundered down the steps tying my hair in a messy bun. "I didn't know you'd stayed over."

"Oh, uh, yeah I crashed watching a movie and I guess Trent just let me sleep in his room. When I woke up he was on the floor." I lied not wanting her to think something was going on.

"That's fine Honey, you know that you are always welcome to stay here." She smiled sipping her coffee. She knew the basics of how awful my mom treated me. Not that she could really do anything but she did understand that sometimes I just needed a break. "Are you heading to school?"

I nodded and grabbed an apple out of the bowl on the table. "Thanks for letting me stay."

"Any time at all Brooke." She gave a small wave and I closed the door soundlessly behind me.

I got to school early for the first time all year. Madison had texted me saying she'd meet me at our lockers so I grabbed my shit and hauled my ass inside to see her. Like promised she was leaning against her locker waiting on me. She smiled and waved a hand at me.

"Good morning princess." She teased. "How's it feel to be up and at it so early?"

"Weird." I admitted making her laughed. "Did you study for math?"

"Yes Brooke." She rolled her eyes.

People probably think I'm a bitch to her but I just want to look out for her. Ever since her mom died a few years ago she's been a self destructive mess. Her dad doesn't even take time to care unless it affects his political stand. He's the mayor. So I try and make sure Madi stays on a good path. I might not be a saint but I sure as hell want her to have what she deserves. She's smart and should get into a fancy college.

"So that Blaine King boy called me last night." Madison twirled her hair. "He wanted to talk to you of course."

"What time?" I asked.

"Before he went to work, like four maybe." She shrugged. "Anyway he was pissed you dodged him so I'd be on the look out today."

"I can handle Blaine King." I said hoping to hell it was actually true.