14

"You missed school and we were worried." Trent said Tuesday morning as I came through the doors. "Your mom came by looking for you and freaked out when Mom said she hadn't seen you."

"Screw her." I said softly shaking my head.

"I told her we had a class trip coming up and you might be staying with a friend." He smiled handing me the work I'd missed.

"Thanks for having my back Trent."

"Anything for you Brookie." He ruffled my hair as the bell rang. "See ya around."

On my way to class I was pinned against a locker roughly. I glared into the eyes of a guy named Clayton Masters. He was on the baseball team and he was also a class A asshole. He'd asked me out thirty times this year and each time I had said no.

"Saw you at the game with that scumbag the other day. Didn't realize I wasn't the right type of asshole for you. I figured maybe I could change that." He said shoving me against the cold metal of the lockers a bit harder.

"Clay, I don't date." I said holding his eye contact. "Not you and not Blaine. I went to the game with him but it was nothing serious."

He seemed unconvinced and the chuckled. "I'd never waste my time with a whore like you anyway."

As fast as he'd came he was gone. My body pulled itself from the lockers and I rubbed my arms where he'd been holding me. I sighed with some relief and hurried to make it all the way to my class before I was late again. Lucky me I made it to the room just in time.

Madison was in her usual seat next to mine and her eyes lit up when I sat down. I smiled and waited until after the bitch of a teacher did role call before I spoke.

"How was that math test grade?" I asked hoping I wouldn't have to relive what just happened in the hallway.

She smiled and dug through her bag. "I got an eighty six!" She showed me the packet.

"Way to go Mads!" I high fives her earning a glare from the teacher.

"Where were you yesterday? I tried to call a bunch of times." She asked. "I was worried about you. You know with your mo-"

I cut her off before she finished. "I just over slept and figured I'd skip. Just wasn't feeling it."

She gave me a weird look but let it go. "Did I see you get out of your car with Blaine this morning? It's all everyone was talking about."

"Let them talk." I shrugged.

"But you don't even let me drive your car."

"You can't drive a standard!" I laughed.

She laughed too."Well yeah but,"

"Girls unless there's something you'd like to share with the class I suggest you keep quiet!" That annoying teacher tone cut Madison off.

"God she's such a bitch." I mumbled.

"DETENTION!"

Well shit!!

Third period I walked to my escape and found Blaine already there. He looked up and shot me that panty dropping smile. I smiled back and took a seat.

"You'll see me at home, you didn't have to stay." I said taking out my notebook to draw.

"We rode together so I figured you didn't want to walk to work." He said swinging the keys around his finger. "The skate shops not in the best neighborhood after all."

I chuckled. "How mighty white of you."

"What're you drawing?"

I glanced up and shrugged. "Haven't decided yet."

He scooted closer and watched as I flipped to a clean page. I wasn't shy about my drawings. I was actually pretty good. I drew flowers and little cityscapes. Sometimes I even drew people.

"Wow those are really good Brooke." He said. "Is there anything you're not good at?"

My smile fell and I looked up at the sky. As hard as I was trying to be positive and happy, things like that made it difficult. Looking at Blaine I sighed.

"My childhood kind of sucked. After being told everything about you is a mistake you eventually believe it." I said. "My parents got divorced when I was about ten. Dad walked out when I was seven and was gone for almost a year before we even heard from him. Turned out he got some waitress knocked up in Tennessee. He left my mom and from then on I was the worst thing that even happened to her. I was the reason she was fat. The reason she couldn't get a good man. I caused Dad to leave. It was a mess."

"Did you fight with her a lot?" He asked looking at my cheek where she'd hit me awhile back.

"Not at first because she worked constantly. Then I stayed with Trent when she'd come home. After Trent's mom remarried though I was at home more and she was vicious with me. It only got worse as I got older. Eventually she wasn't really even my mom anymore." I sighed.

The bell rang before he could speak. I was gathering up my stuff when I remembered I had detention. I'd make us both late for work.

"Blaine!" I yelled as he started walking away.

He stopped and looked back. "Yeah?"

"I have detention today so go to work and I'll have Trent or Paul take me afterwards."

He nodded. "Okay see ya later then."

After detention Paul drove me to the skate shop. He told me about how he thought Trent and Madison were going to get back together before prom. Then he started talking about Blaine. He asked what he was really like, and told me if I wanted to move in with his family I could.

"Blaine's fine." I smiled. "He's a good guy Paul."

"I'm just looking out for you Brooke." He sighed. "People are saying things."

"What Paul? What are they saying?" I snapped. "That he's a killer or that he put a prick in the hospital that deserved it?"

"Whoa Brooke chill out." Paul glanced my way as he turned into the parking lot. "I never said any of that."

"Sorry." I mumbled.

"No, it's cool. Did he really put someone in the hospital?"

I simply shrugged. "It's not my story to tell Paul. Thanks for the ride though."

"Anytime." He gave me a one armed hug. "Have a good day at work."

I laughed and hopped out. Once I was inside Frank smiled at me. He told me that Blaine let him know I was gonna be late. Thankfully Frank was a good guy. He didn't care when I showed up as long as when I did I did my job.

"The back rooms a wreck with overstock." Frank said. "Take care of that then you can leave with loverboy over there."

I rolled my eyes. As I made my way to the back room I heard Blaine cussing and then a loud slam. When I opened the door he was sitting amongst about six now empty boxes and the contents were scattered all over the floor.

"This might take awhile." He sighed looking up at me.