14

"I would never hurt you." His confused expression becomes frustration, because he knows that's not true. He hurt me before— unknowingly, but the history of pain exists just like our podiums. He's at the very top, and I'm shriveling in the dirt as everyone looks up at him.

My sense of survival kicks in again, and reminds me of my place. "I'm sorry for my outburst."

As always, this is all about making him comfortable by cleaning his camp and respecting his title. I need to shove my pride back to where it came from.

"I will touch you now," he warns me instead of addressing my apology or outburst.

I look at him warily. Touching? Touching for what?

His enormous arms reach for me, and I'm lost in a sea of muscle and warmth for a split second. It all happens so fast that I don't realize he's carrying me until the sunlight beams at me.

"Back to work!" he booms at onlookers, the vibrations shaking me up.

"You can put me down." I'm disoriented in his embrace. I've been carrying my weight for a long time now. My feet are calloused from how long I've been dragging them.

"General," someone calls. "The meeting—"

"I'm busy."

He cuts past the crowds as I try to hide behind my hair. It's a useless attempt. Of course, everyone knows who I am. My skin is too pale for me to be anything but their awkward little servant that keeps tripping into trouble.

Are they watching in hopes of my execution?

The General completes the quick trip to the medic and settles me on a high bed made of wood and fur.

"General." The old, confused, Healer regards. "How can I help you?"

"Her," he grunts. "Check her."

"I apologize," the Healer shakes his head. "I only have experience treating Zolanos. I don't know if this female's species carries any contagious illnesses in her bodily fluids."

I'm not offended by his words. I've heard more absurd accusations before. Some Zolanos thought I was cursed, others thought I was deformed.

"Be glad you're elderly or you would be in a great deal of pain now." The General slams his hand beside me, and I hear a loud creak. The platform tips over, and I go down with it.

The General is quick to snatch me before I hit the ground.

An animalistic sound comes from him. It's not a word, just a rumble that seems like it belongs in the depths of a jungle.

"Do your job, or I'll do mine. And we both know how good I am at exterminating."

The Healer instantly changes his mind. "Yes. Of course. Set her here, please."

He unfolds a new high seat and pulls out a tray with sharp-looking utensils that creep me out. The General must have seen something on my face, because he says, "put it away. Use your eyes."

"Yes. Yes. Is there anything specific I should check over? Is there discomfort anywhere?"

"Her sex," The General answers for me.

My thighs slam shut, and The General stares at me with a gritted jaw. "I will wait outside."

He leaves, and now it's just The Healer and I.

"Well then," the elder grumbles. "I will be quick. Lift your skirt."

I know this is a medical procedure, but I still feel timid when I do as instructed and widen my legs. I don't know if he can even determine what is normal if he has never studied humans.

To distract myself, I think of the thousands of things I have to do today.

The Healer pulls at my thighs and lips, once so harshly that I tense with pain.

"Inflammation," is all he determines. He goes to his shelves and returns with a purple glass bottle. "Use this once at night. Stop using it if you have any side effects. There should be none since this is mild."

"I'm coming in," The General says.

I make sure my skirt is straight as he ducks inside. His eyes scan me over before locking on The Healer. "Will she heal?"

"Yes. There must have been incredible soreness, but it will fade with time."

The General pins me again. "Fucking Malik was not the wisest if you were in a tender condition. He should have known better, and he will be punished for this." He tries to keep his voice even, but I can see the clench of his fists and the bulging of his tendons.

"You think I slept with Malik?" I slide off my seat. "That's crazy."

"Girl," The Healer warns me to lower my voice with a simple stare because he doesn't want to patch me up when The General rips me apart.

Too late for that.

The Healer must have not heard my earlier outburst since he's too far from my tent. He must not know of my reputation, either. I'm the scrawly female The General can't seem to disregard.

"I've just been teaching Malik how to stitch. That's all. We are not... err, intimate."

I'm awed to see relief cross his face. It's there only for a second, before the hardened mask everyone fears is back.

"No cleaning for you this month. Rest."

"What do you mean?"

He turns around and heads for the exit. "You cannot clean, and I will be displeased if you disobey."

"But my boss..."

"Joan," he turns his head. "I am your boss."

I won't argue with him. Not when I still need his favor to keep Malik around.

"And Malik? Can he stay? Please? I won't misbehave again. I promise."

He looks away. "Fine." Then he leaves.

"You must be the crazy one," The Healer says. "Talking that way to such a dangerous male like The General. I've never had that man in my tent before. Want to know why? Because he never gets injured. He rides into camp every time bathed in blood that is never his. I've never touched him before, because he never needs healing. If you value life, your eyes should remain on his boots."

He thinks I haven't tried that? That I haven't stared at his feet and tried to avoid him like life depends on it?

I stand with my bottle clutched in my hand. "Thank you for your time."

Angry glares pierce me as soon as I step outside. They're so sharp that I fear I'll actually get stabbed and have to return to The Healer.

The attention has gotten worse.

Back in my tent, I store the medicine away and take a deep breath.

How am I still alive? I told that man all sorts of things. And The Headmistress! She's going to mop the floors with me.

"Speaking of mopping..." I groan.

The General exempted me from cleaning, but there are still so many things I have to do like collect water and check inventory.

He was kind for reducing my workload instead of hanging me for my brazen meltdown.

The Headmistress likely hates me now, but I'm hoping I can relieve some of that distaste by being productive.

I quickly change my shoes and go to check inventory. I take a few hours, but I get it done. Malik isn't around, so I drag my three buckets like good old times. My arms protest, but it's a burn I'm used to.

Yippy visits me today. I smile and blow the furry beast a kiss before continuing with labor. I'm happy, because I get to keep Malik around and my relationship with The General seems to be reaching a mutual distant respect.

Life may finally be quiet again.