21

Yippy follows me inside, so I pick him up and carry him to the half-full bathtub where I scrub him clean.

Today I decide I can't live another day indoors. I disobey War's command and tidy up the tent. This place is so huge that it takes some effort to dust and sweep every corner.

My few belongings are folded and carefully stored in a corner. Although I'm sleeping in here, this still doesn't feel like my space.

Entertainers bring food around the usual time. The meal is warm and makes my stomach feel funny. I knew this would happen. Last time I felt like this, I shrugged it off as being my nervousness around The General.

Now I know the truth. The Entertainers are poisoning me.

After dumping the food, I slip outside and go to The Healer. He's with a patient, so I wait outside for a few minutes with a clean and happy Yippy at my heels.

It smells like lavender and burnt wood. The warm smells comfort my chest as I wait.

When the patient steps out, I can tell it's a Master by his sheer bulk. I keep my eyes on his chest, but I don't miss the shuffle of his feet. He's surprised by me; maybe afraid because he knows The General is attached at my hip.

He leaves, and I wait for The Healer to welcome me.

"Come in," he beckons.

I duck inside, and The Healer regards me with careful eyes. "What can I do for you?"

"Hello. I've been getting stomach aches. Please don't report this to The General. I don't want to..."

His eye fall to my hand at my belly. "To repeat the incident with Tantri? Yes, I'm well aware of what The General does to those that lift a hand against you. They lose it."

I cringe, because he must have been the one that patched up Tantri after he was maimed. I haven't seen Tantri since. I know he survived, but he was transferred off camp.

"You know I must report this to The General, right?"

I shake my head. I don't want The General to get distracted by me again. I'll simply have to start cooking my own meals.

"You can't. He'll go berserk."

"He'll end my life if he finds out I hid his child from him. When did you two last have sex?" he exhales. "This is odd. His medicine should have blocked any pregnancies, but I suppose there is nothing we can do about it now. Zolan will glady welcome more Masters."

Pregnant?!

I cough. "No. I'm not pregnant. It's food poisoning."

The Healer blinks. "I see. From what?"

My arms cross over my belly as images storm through my mind. Sex, pregnancy, babies.

I never thought I'd be a mother. Not only because I don't know if my DNA is compatible with Zolanos, but because I never thought I'd find a male. Much less someone as high-ranked as War.

"Uh, I'm not sure."

"Come sit here. I will have to run tests. How has your sex been feeling? Is the oil working well?"

"Yes, thank you. I can walk normally now and I'm ready to get back to work."

"Hmm... yes, I cannot make those calls. I only make and report observations. It's up to The General if you can get back to normal duties."

I sigh. "Right."

He brings forward needles with different colored tips.

"Give me your arm and relax."