31

Vote & Comment! ❤️

"I think I love you."

He didn't bother to whisper like I did. The deadliest man in Zolan isn't afraid of looking soft.

So what do I reply? Nothing. I gape like a fish, unable to find a reply although I'm bilingual. None of the thousands of words I know in English and Zolano can satisfy the shock within me.

The rest of the room has become as stiff as I am, and I swear I heard a body drop as if someone passed out.

"Love?" The Queen screeches. "War, you—"

"Don't use my given name," he interjects. "I did not give you the right."

He gave the right to me, though, and I'm no Queen. So why does he look at me like I am one? Why does he give me the right that should belong to his leader?

His eyes lock on my throat, and he glares at the collar there. With quick tugs, he removes it and throws it on the floor.

"We will leave after I get all the facts," he says, lowering me to my feet.

His arm remains tightly locked around my middle, keeping me pinned against his nakedness. His warmth and rage, seep in through the back of my dress.

"Why is she here?" he asks.

"She was to be investigated for theft of a jewel from my personal collection," The Queen answers.

"Members of my camp are not thieves, especially not my woman!" he booms, the blade he's holding loudly scraping the floor below as if scouring for flesh.

'My woman?' When did that happen?

"I was going to investigate—"

"It looked like you already found her guilty if you were humiliating her by parading her as a pet," he decides. "Vrint lied. I have previously warned him against staying away from her, so he must have devised this plan to coerce her. I want him dead."

"He is a high officer," The Queen argues. "Evidence must be gathered before his sentencing."

"Everyone else that played a role in dragging her here will be punished too. Every one that dragged her, touched her, lifted her. That includes the ladies of the court. I'll return tomorrow to oversee all of this. Prepare for war."

"I— I—" the queen baffles.

"Obey me, or I will abandon the title as your General. Good luck finding a worthy replacement for me. I know you've searched and failed," he snarls.

War knows his potential. He's confident in his strength, and he's turning it into a weapon.

"Roll out!" he orders the Masters before tugging me beside him.

I hiss when my bare, cut feet touch the ground, and his eyes snap to them. I can feel the murderous waves radiating off him when he realizes I'm injured.

Dropping his sword, he picks me up and walks off.

"Your sword—" I begin, knowing that the weapon is encrusted in precious gold.

"I have more," is all he says.

I pass Malik on our way our. He looks... relieved. I'll have to talk to him later after I've calmed War down. Something must have happened for him to come searching for me.

"War..." I begin.

"There is nothing to say now, Joan. I will take you somewhere safe and tend to your wounds. Talking comes tomorrow. I have nothing civil left to say."