44

We're on the outskirts of the city, observing smoke travel into the clear sky. The sounds of life from within the city become louder with every step the beast under us takes. For the past four hours, I've been in a General-dick-infused haze. My lady bits have been tingling with pleasure, and I have a stupid smile on my face.

Now, my euphoria shrivels under the shadow of the enormous city. I'm nervous to return, because nothing good ever happens when I'm among so many Zolanos.

"You're tense," War observes.

"Yes," I confirm.

"Remember that this is a vacation. Relax."

It's a vacation, but I'm already counting down the hours until we return to camp.

War rubs my upper arm and speeds us up. We cross some peddlers. Out of habit, I lower my head to hide my human features. I have to remind myself that I don't have to hide anymore.

We cross the City's golden gates and are approached by a thin man wearing a uniform I recognize from the palace.

"General War, Lady Joan of War," he dips his chin in greeting.

Lady Joan of War? When did I get assigned that title?

"I was sent by The Queen to welcome you. I have brought presents on her behalf consisting of spices, fruits, and the finest of silks. If you would please follow me, I will direct you to a room she has honorably prepared for your stay."

"No. I want nothing," War replies instantly. "We're staying at an inn."

"But... what am I supposed to do with these gifts?" the startled attendant asks.

"Take them back, or dispose of them. I don't care. Get out of my way."

I turn to look at him. "War..." I don't say anything, because it's all in my look. He's being rude and encouraging further sourness with the queen.

He stares at me, his stern look not cracking. I stick my bottom lip in a pout and cross my arms over my chest. He stays unreluctant for another second, and then he sighs with defeat. "What do you want me to do, wife?"

"W-wife?" the escort coughs. "I beg your mercy. I was not aware your status had been updated by marriage. Had I known, I would have addressed you properly."

He apologizes to me, but looks at War as if nervous he'll swing the nearest blade.

I raise my hands. "Calm down. You can call me Lady Joan." I turn to War. "Can you have the gifts distributed at the orphanage, please? I'm sure the kids would appreciate fancy snacks and clothes."

I've never worn Zolan silk before, but I can live without it.

"And can we respect the Queen's arrangements?"

He grunts, his hands squeezing the reins tighter. "She treated you like a pet. I'd kill the bitch if I saw her again."

The escort behinds us gasps. If War was a lesser man, he would be decapitated for his insolence. No one insults the Queen— well, except the unnamed King of Zolan.

"Uh, he didn't mean that!" I toss to the escort. "He's just a little grumpy. Right, War?"

War raises an eyebrow and says nothing. He's uneager to adjust his ogre manners to impress anyone. How in the three worlds I've seen did I fall for his callousness?

"Can we stay at the palace? Please? I will avoid the Queen. I just don't want you to seem rude by rejecting her accommodations."

"She already knows I am like this. She can't— and won't do anything about it because—"