19

JOAN

It hurts that my intentions are being doubted, but this is only natural. The General doesn't know me well, and he has a job to do. He has to protect the camp.

I slowly raise the letter and the Entertainer smirks.

Will I ever have privacy here? Will my word ever be trusted, or will I forever remain the shady alien that was dropped on this planet?

The General latches onto the letter, but I cling onto it even as he tugs.

"Joan..." he warns.

"Such insolence," an onlooker whispers.

That triggers something in The General, because he pulls the letter from my grip harshly.

"We must punish her," someone suggests.

"Lift a finger and I'll leave you limbless, just like Terson!" he booms.

Everyone shrinks back, but I stagger forward when he starts reading. I feeling violated as my thoughts are consumed by the wrong man. The words in that letter were meant for my friend, not my boss.

He reads line after line, his expression hardening with every word he consumes. When he finishes reading, something scarier than rage crosses his expression. Blankness. He shoes no blatant reaction to the words I sent to Malik.

He lowers the letter and folds it back up.

"It is a personal letter. There is no espionage here," he explains to everyone. "You're all dismissed. Get back to work."

He walks away, and I'm left to wonder where I belong anymore. I have no job, no tent. All I have is The General's side.

I walk after him with my head low and my eyes set on the letter he's gripping in a chokehold. Back in the tent, he throws the thing on his work desk and faces me. I feel like I'm in a spotlight and the audience is a titan.

"You cannot do that," he says, voice gravely. "You cannot defy me in front of camp, Joan. When I give a command, you must obey."

I know I hesitated when he demanded the letter. Any other camp member would have dropped to their knees and complied, but I've gotten comfortable with this special treatment of me.

"They will start expecting the same treatment I give you if they see I let you get away with most things. I can't have a loss of organization among the ranks. We work best when we know our places. Uncertainty causes disorder. Disorder causes mutiny."

I don't like it, but it makes sense. There's order, respect, and clear boundaries here at camp. I'm just the oddball that never checks the right boxes as everyone else.

"I will try my best to respect order. I just got lost in my emotions for a second," I tell him. I know it's in my best interest to listen to his commands, because he knows more about leading a crowd than I ever will. He's a protector.

"What you need to do is stop having this effect on me." He rakes a thick hand through his hair and huffs with frustration. He sits on the bed, legs open, and extends a hand.

"Come here."

He's out of whack, disoriented. He needs me.

My feet inch closer, not because he still intimidates me to the point that I want to please him, but because it's flattering that this imposing man considers me peace.

I slip my hand into his gingerly, and he pulls me so I fall on his lap. A grunt of contentment rumbles through him. He sets one hand on my knees, and another at my hip.

"About Malik..."

"What about him?" he snaps.

"You can't take him away," I whisper.