Chapter 3: Let It Be

Hermione awoke the next morning to complete and total silence. She had not slept very well, considering she still had to do the one eye open thing, and both her head and body ached horribly.

Glancing around the room, she found that there was no clock in here and since she had absolutely no concept of time anymore, she had no idea how early or late it actually was. She supposed it really made no difference. Whether she had been in here for eight minutes or eight hours, her sleep was still as restless and unfulfilling as ever.

Through a small crack in the green curtains, she could at least see that it was light out.

Hermione struggled to lift her aching body to a seated position and carefully placed both feet flat on the floor. With the covers torn off of her, she took a good look down at the silky pajama bottoms she was wearing and began stroking the material. She didn't like it. It was rather cold this morning and silk wasn't very forgiving when it came to weather. Something flannel really would have been more appropriate. Of course, she was in no position to complain.

With a heavy sigh, Hermione stood up, having to take a moment before being able to straighten her body entirely. All of the thrashing she had done to him last night in the shower really had not helped her aching body.

Hermione went over to the window and pulled the curtains aside. It was a bit gloomy outside but, overall, seemed like a fairly nice day. The first signs of autumn were beginning to show and she was happy her view had a few trees in it so she could watch the leaves change. Of course, she would be happier if she did not have to stay here long enough to see it happen, but she had a pretty good feeling that at least a few weeks here was not so farfetched. If she was going to get out of the city, she needed to have done it within minutes of her escape, and she simply did not have the strength for that. So, for now, she would have to wait.

Getting down on her knees, Hermione crossed her arms on the windowsill and used them to brace her chin as she continued to gaze outside. It was still her birthday, and she supposed being alive after a Death Eater discovered her was a gift in itself. It was most certainly all she was going to get.

With a heavy sigh, Hermione stood back up. She shivered from the cold and began looking around for her cloak. Then she remembered that she had left it in the washroom.

With as quiet a stride as she could manage with her hurt ankle, Hermione went to the door and carefully opened it. She poked her head into the dark living room and began searching around for a light switch, eventually finding it all the way near the front door. It was a great surprise when the switch actually worked and a bright light flooded into the room.

Glancing around, she noticed that Draco's shoes were no longer by the door and his cloak was no longer draped over the chair. But hers was. She picked it up and fastened it on, hugging it to her like a blanket in an attempt to keep warm. The pocket felt heavy and it was then that she remembered the items she carried. Her hand traveled inside of it and came out with a knife, a map of London, and a chocolate bar. That was it? She looked again. No, her pockets were definitely empty.

Suddenly, the lock on the door clicked and Hermione looked around in a panic. As a last resort, she darted behind the sofa and ducked the moment the door opened."Too slow," she heard the drawling voice of Draco say.

After letting out a sigh of relief, she stood back up straight.

Draco took in her cloak and cocked an eyebrow. "Going somewhere?"

"I ... I was cold," she said, fidgeting with the items in her hand.

"Did it ever cross your mind that instead of trying to hide, perhaps you should have raised that knife you're holding?"