Chapter 31: Not Guilty

After Hermione's nightmare, Draco split the other Sleeping Draught with her to get her back to sleep. He did not actually want it, but it was the only way she would agree to take any.

The potion only worked on Draco for about another hour or so, then he was woken up by the door opening again. Ginny walked in and sent Ernie on his way, taking over as guard.

"Do you never sleep, Weaselette?" asked Draco once she took her seat.

Ginny jumped in surprise. "I could ask you the same question."

Draco waited.

"I don't sleep well," she answered.

"Neither do I," he replied. Then he took a moment to really look her over. Her words must have been true because dark circles surrounded her eyes, which were only exacerbated by her ashen skin. "Are you not feeling well?"

"I'm fine," she said. "Just tired."

Draco was not sure if he believed that, but Ginny Weasley was hardly his concern, so he let it go. For now. "What time is it?" he asked.

"Half past one," she answered. "If you're hungry, I brought some lunch for you." Ginny lifted a small basket that had been set by her feet.

"Not right now." Hermione stirred against him and he looked down at her. "Did your talk with her earlier not go well?"

Ginny blushed and glanced down at the floor. "Not exactly. I don't think any of us really knew what to expect, and we didn't handle it the best."

Draco knew what that meant. "Just treat her like a normal fucking person, Weaselette. It's not going to do her any good if you baby her."

Ginny nodded, her eyes glossy as she glanced back at Hermione. "How long has ... has this been going on between the two of you?" she suddenly asked. "It wasn't right away, was—?"

"Of course not," said Draco with a sneer. "Believe what you want, but I had no intention of anything like this ever happening. Once I got her into my flat, all I wanted to do was get her the fuck out again, because I knew the longer she stayed with me, the more at risk we both were of getting caught."

Ginny leaned forward. "And then what happened?"

Draco looked down at Hermione again and brushed some loose hair out of her eyes. "Then, one day, I suddenly realized I didn't want her to go. And, now, here we are."

"She says you're still a chauvinist."

Draco laughed. "Did she now?"

Ginny nodded.

"Well, I can see you're seeking some sort of explanation, so I'll tell you what I told her. Purebloods are superior. We've had magic in our families for ages and have more advantages, but I do not believe in the Dark Lord's treatment of Muggle-borns, nor do I believe they should be forbidden from using magic. And, of course, there are always the few exceptions to the rule." He stroked Hermione's cheek. "Will that suffice?"

"I suppose it'll have to," she said, leaning back in her chair. She paused and studied Hermione's serene face. "What does she have nightmares about?"

Draco shrugged. "She once told me she dreams about the Battle of Hogwarts, but I'm sure it was only a half-truth."

Ginny suddenly got very quiet and looked to the floor. Draco wished there was at least a clock ticking or something because the silence was a bit unnerving. He tried hard to focus on the sound of Hermione's breathing to make it more bearable. Still even. Still sleeping.

Eventually, Ginny looked up at him with glossy eyes. "I've ..." She gulped. "I've met girls before who we rescued from slavery. I helped take care of them and they would tell me the horror stories of what they went through. Was ... was it the same for her?"