Chapter 4: Fixing a Hole

Hermione screamed out for Harry and Ron as she ran through the dark corridors of Hogwarts. Her heart was beating fast as she heard Harry's voice faithfully call out, "Expelliarmus!"Bodies littered the halls Hermione ran through while she tried desperately to reach her best friend, causing the putrid smell of death to spoil the air. But there was no time to stop and look. No time to dwell on who had been lost in this horrible war. Only one thing mattered. Finding her way back to Harry and Ron. Together they could end this. Together nothing could stop them.

Finally reaching the Great Hall, Hermione stopped and stared as Harry stood facing Lord Voldemort, their wands locked between powerful spells. At first, it seemed like Harry was winning, but then, just when she thought he had him, Voldemort's green jet of light pushed forward and shot at Harry. His body went stiff as he flew back against the wall, falling to a lifeless heap on the floor.

"HARRY!" she cried, trying so hard to run for him but her feet would not budge, her entire body feeling as heavy as lead.

"Hermione!"

She looked to see Ron running towards her, his arm outstretched as he reached for her. She lifted hers and did the same, wanting desperately to know what it felt like to touch those fingers again. Even if it was just once more.

He was so close, so close she could smell him, that intoxicating aroma of grass on a hot summer's day and something else she had never quite been able to place. But, before he could reach her, she was knocked off her feet and being pulled away from him. Dragged further and further until his red-headed figure became nothing more than a speck in the distance."NO! RON! HARRY!" she cried.

"Shut up, Mudblood!"

"NO!"

Someone grabbed her by the waist and flipped her so she was facing them. Hermione screamed as he stared down at her. The cold and angry eyes of Lucius Malfoy that she could never forget. Lord Voldemort and Bellatrix watched her from over his shoulder, amused smirks distorting their already hideous faces. The smell of death had never been so strong.

"You belong to us now, Mudblood," said Bellatrix, cackling wickedly as she stepped forward. "You will never see your precious Weasley again."

No.

"And Harry Potter's life will finally be taken by my wand," said Voldemort. "The Elder Wand. It is over, Mudblood. We have won."

No.

"Stop crying, Mudblood!" shouted Lucius, smacking her hard across the face.

"No!"

Those eyes ... Those piercing, cruel gray eyes.

"Mudblood!"

"NO!"

"Granger!"

"NOOO!"

"Granger, wake the fuck up! It's me!"

Lucius's eyes continued to stare down at her. Hermione thrashed around violently as he tried to hold her still.

"No! You can't have me! YOU'LL NEVER HAVE ME!"

"Granger! Fuck! It's me! Draco! You're having a nightmare! Wake the fuck up!"

Hermione's body eased slightly as the hold on her suddenly seemed gentle. She looked back into Lucius's eyes only to see them melt away and become Draco's. The differences were slight but they were there. A shade lighter with a pale-blue ring around the pupil and slightly softer around the edges. And kind. These eyes were kind. Especially when waking her from a nightmare.

"Again?" Hermione said, almost sounding frustrated as she panted in his arms.

"I know," said Draco. "Third time since you got here." Which was ten days ago now.