Chapter 9: Crying, Waiting, Hoping

For the next week, living with Hermione became very pleasant for Draco. The thunderstorms had stopped but she continued to ask him to sleep in her bed at night, which really gave him time to breathe in her intoxicating aroma.

She then woke up early every morning to make these elaborate breakfasts. Bronson taught her most of it, since he was the sous chef at a popular wizarding restaurant. His hours were random and normally in the very early hours of morning or in the evening, which was why he had so much free time in the middle of the day to spend with her, teaching her simple things that she had been deprived of learning.

Hermione claimed she had never been much of a cook before, and Draco loved the way her face lit up every time she made something he was particularly fond of, like her spinach omelet. But his favorite part about her new morning routine was the robe she always cooked in, which was now accompanied by matching slippers he had sent Bronson back for.

By the end of the week, Hermione had already read through the entire volume of Hogwarts: A History twice, so Draco asked her if there were any other books she might want. She filled up an entire piece of parchment with her list. Front and back.

It was definitely safe to say that Hermione Granger was getting back to normal. She even asked him for a small handbag when the Polyjuice Potion finished brewing, and taught him how to cast an Undetectable Extension Charm on it. He could see how relieved she was when the spell actually worked.

"You still have to help me practice in the basement," she said as he helped her carefully pack the finished phials of potion inside of her new, never-ending bag. "Bronson's never actually been in any sort of battle before and he really only works as a test dummy."

"So ... what? You want me to teach you Death Eater tricks or something?" asked Draco.

"Well, it couldn't hurt. That way, I could at least know what they might use on me."

"I'm not letting you run out of here unless there's a one-hundred percent chance no Death Eater will go after you, Granger."

"I know," she said. "I was referring more to the future. You know, like, a battle."

Draco froze. Of course, he knew there would be more battles between the Death Eaters and the resistance in the future. In fact, he was pretty sure they were overdue for one. But the thought of Hermione being caught up in the middle of it had never really crossed his mind before. When she left here, they would become enemies again. Maybe they would even run into each other on the battlefield. Would she strike at him then? He already knew he would never strike at her. He did his best not to strike at any members of the resistance, though, sometimes, it was unavoidable.

"Fine, I'll teach you," he said. "There is one spell in particular I think you would like. We'll need Bronson for it, though. Test dummy, you know."

He winked and Hermione smiled. The two of them were just waiting for the day Bronson had enough of their shenanigans and retaliated. He, undoubtedly, had a few tricks up his own sleeve. Every witch and wizard did.

* * *

"Do I have to do this?" Bronson whined as Draco aimed Hermione's wand at him.

"You want her to learn, don't you?" said Draco. "Would you rather we sent our little fugitive out unprepared?"

"No," Bronson mumbled under his breath. "But your spells always bloody hurt."

"You won't feel a thing with this one."

Bronson let out a frustrated sigh before readying himself.

"Pay close attention, Granger. This spell will need to be cast nonverbally, but I'll say the incantation this first time to show you. Ready?"