Part 1

18+ readers only, swearing, Defending Jacob spoilers? (I dunno, just being careful)

A year later...

You glanced up at the sky as it began to cloud over before you wiped the sweat from your brow with the back of your hand as you dug in your flower beds.

"Excuse me, ma'am." A deep voice called out to you from your neighbors front yard.

You looked up with a frown. "Yes?"

"I don't suppose you know when the Barber's will be home, do you?" A man, in his late thirties to early forties asked as he made his way over to you. He carried a brown satchel bag on one shoulder and what looked like a camera on his other with him.

You narrowed your eyes at him, "You a cop?" You asked.

He shook his head with a chuckle, "No, ma'am."

"Then I don't know when they're back." You muttered going back to your flowerbed.

The man let out a soft sigh. "Okay... Then, would you mind answering a couple of questions for me?"

You shook your head. "You gonna tell me who you are?"

"Just someone who wants to know the truth." He nodded.

You rolled your eyes. "Not a reporter then." You smirked to yourself.

The man grumbled. "How long have you been neighbours with the Barber's?" He asked.

"A little over two years." You answered not looking up.

"And do you think they're good people?" He asked.

You rolled your eyes and let out a heavy sigh. "You mean, do I think, Jacob, is capable of murder?" You pushed yourself up from the ground and faced him. "No, I don't. He's a good kid," You looked over to the Barber's driveway as they pulled in. "He's kind, polite, always helps me out if I need a hand in the yard or my drive clearing if it's snowed."

The man nodded, "Doesn't mean he didn't kill that kid."

You nodded, "Doesn't mean he did. Now, get off my property."

The man smiled. "It's fine. They're home now." He winked at you.

You let out a heavy sigh. "Just leave them alone, would ya'. They're good people."

"They're son has been accused of murder." The man shrugged. "Don't you think the public deserve to know the truth? You live next door, aren't you worried that one of your neighbours might be a murderer?" He asked.

You rolled your eyes and turned around. "Just piss off, or I'm getting my hose." You walked off down the side of your house to where you kept it.

You grabbed the green hose that sat at the side of your house and began making your way back up to the front. As expected, the reporter or whoever he was, was bugging the Barber family. Asshole.

You stepped over the little boarder in your garden and walked over to where they were stood on the driveway.

"Hey, dickwod!" You called out to the man.

As the man turned around to face you, you turned your hose on. You smirked proudly as he shouted out and tried to get out of the way. You glanced over to the Barber family, hoping they'd taken the chance to get inside. Andy however stood out of your way smirking at you, nodding his head.

You turned the hose off with a grin. "I did warn you."

"I'll make you pay for this!" The man snapped.

"Yeah, yeah, piss off!" You sprayed him again making him quickly retreat to his car. You chuckled and looked back to Andy blushing. "Sorry."

He shook his head and smiled softly. "Thank you. I was close to losing it."

You nodded, "It's expected." You let out a soft sigh. "How are you all?"

Andy shrugged, "Just want it to be over." He frowned looking back to where the guy had been. "What did he ask?"

"Your usual bollocks. I told him to piss off. There's no way, Jacob, did this. There just isn't." You balled your fist up in frustration.

Andy paused as he looked at you briefly. "You still believe him?"

You nodded, "Without question." You smiled politely at him before looking to his house.

You raised your hand in greeting to Jacob as he stood at the window with Laurie looking over his shoulder. Jacob smiled and waved back before Laurie pulled him away from the window.

"I'll leave you to it." You offered Andy a soft smile before turning and making your way back to your home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You hummed softly to yourself as you walked over to your living room window to close the curtains before you went up to bed. As you reached up, you looked out the window and saw Andy sat at his desk as if he was deep in thought. He was practically in darkness with the lights off and the door closed. The intense glow of his laptop being the only light to light up the room, other than that from the window. You'd seen this picture almost every night since Jacob was accused. Laurie would most likely already be in bed and Andy would sit there in the darkness for God knows how long. Jacob would be on his Xbox or something as if nothing was different. You wished there was something you could do for them.

You slipped your hand into your pocket and pulled out your cell. You quickly found your on-going conversation with Andy and sent him a text.

You: Want a beer? x

You watched as he reached out for his cell that laid beside his laptop before he looked up over his shoulder and spotted you. You raised your hand as you offered him a kind smile. Andy tried to smile back before he looked back to his cell.

Andy: I would love one x

You finally closed your curtains before heading into your kitchen to grab a couple of beers before unlocking your back door. Moments later as you sat at your kitchen island nursing your beer, Andy opened the door and stepped into your kitchen, letting out a heavy breath as he closed the door behind him.

Neither of you said anything as he accepted the beer you offered him and sat down beside you. After a few minutes of quietly drinking, Andy turned to you.

"Why are you so certain, Jacob, didn't do it?" He asked.

You shrugged, "I just know." You answered. "The, Jacob, I know, the one that helps me in the yard or talks my ear off about the new game he got, that, Jacob, isn't the one the police and the media are saying he is." You offered Andy a soft smile. "Are you doubting him?"

Andy shook his head. "No, of course not." He frowned. "Just... People, who've known us longer than you, are so quick to call him-" Andy shook his head unable to say the word. "I thought they were our friends... Family,"

You let out a heavy sigh as you placed your hand on top of his. "You can make new friends, Andy,"

Andy nodded as he looked up at you and smiled. "I'm glad you're on our side, Y/N."

You nodded, "You were on mine, Andy, when I needed someone at my lowest." You gave him a thankful smile. "I wasn't just going to turn my back on you now... Besides, you're my lawyer and your damn good, I ain't giving you up." You teased giving him a nudged and laughing with him as he chuckled.

"Thank you." Andy smiled.

"For the compliment?" You asked with a raised eyebrow.

Andy shook his head, "For everything."