Chapter 5

Xavier's POV

I head to the cafeteria to meet up with Alexander. All sorts of questions have been going through my mind. A few questions were "Is he gay?" "Does he like me?" "Why didn't he tell me?" "Will this affect our project if one of us doesn't like the other?"

I make my way to the lunch line, order a ham and cheese sandwich with a salad and a bottle of water. I sit down across from Alexander and eat my sandwich. After I wash it down, I smile and wait for him to talk.

Alexander smiles back. "Hey. I'm so sorry about what happened earlier. I didn't know you were going to be there. You're probably wondering why I said your name when I released."

I nod and listen carefully while continuing to eat my lunch.

Alexander then becomes nervous. "Well... That's because.... Because..... Because I'm gay. And I like you. I can't stop thinking about you. I hope this isn't weird, and hopefully, this doesn't affect our project."

I smile brightly and set my fork down. "It doesn't affect our project at all. I like you as well. I also can't stop thinking about you. And I'm gay as well. If you want, we can be friends, as long as neither of us tells anyone else. Except for our parents. I don't want anyone knowing that we're gay."

Alexander looks at me, confused. "Why not?"

It was my turn to be nervous now. "Because.... I've never had friends and the ones that wanted to..... Well, they shied away from me when..... When I told them that I like guys. I was once beaten by a random guy that I didn't know, just for being gay. He called me.... A.... A.... A fag. And said that I was worthless, and that I should just die.... Because..... Because I'm a waste of precious oxygen.

Alexander brought his hand to my cheeks and wiped the tears, that were flowing down. I look up at him and he has a sad smile.

Alexander. Hey. It's okay. I'll protect you, make you feel worthy, and prevent you from dying. I won't let you cut yourself, or hang yourself, or anything of that nature. You are not a waste of oxygen, and you are not a fag. You're a handsome and smart and kind and cute and hot human being that deserves to love and be loved.

I blush and finish my lunch. "Thank you."

After lunch, I throw away my trash and make my way to my car. Alexander follows me to my car.

He helps me put my stuff in the back seat and then leans against the car.

Alexander. "Hey. I was wondering what your classes are.

I give him my schedule and take Alexander's as well. "So it seems that we both have Child and Family Care in the afternoon on Monday, you have English in the morning on Tuesday and I have Spanish at the same time and same day, and then we both have Math in the morning on Wednesday, and Science in the afternoon on Thursday, and then I have health in the morning on Friday and you have gym in the morning and football practice in the afternoon. Wow! Maybe I'll come and watch your games."

We give each other our schedules back, and Alexander smiles. "That would be wonderful. But, are you sure that it wouldn't interfere with your studies?"

I smile brightly. "Not at all."

We hug quickly and then get our separate cars and drive home.

When I get home, I go over to Stella and pick her up from her crib. I play with her and change her diaper and set her in her rocking chair. I haven't had her for long, but she is already capturing my heart, even though she is a robot. I have a granola bar as a snack, and then head to my room with Stella and start on my homework.

Halfway through finishing my homework, Stella cries, and I go over to her and feed her. She quiets down, and I rock her gently as I finish the rest of my homework. Once that is done, Stella is sleeping, and I go downstairs to have dinner.

I sit down and talk to my parents as I eat. "Mom, dad. I was talking to Alexander today after class, and he told me that he is gay. We are friends and we have a few classes together, and Friday afternoons, he has football practice. I was thinking that I could go to his practices and his games."

Heather. "That's wonderful. Of course, you can go."

William. "As long as you don't have sex or anything like that."

Xavier. "Of course not. We've only been friends since lunchtime. Besides, we already have Stella to care for as our project."

Xavier finished his dinner, puts the dishes in the sink, and goes to bed.