Lessons Learned

"Before I begin your skills instruction you must know the rules," says Mom to me, Crinae and Elody while we're sitting in the main room. "Number one: you only practice your skills when your father or I are around. Number two: you will never ever talk about what abilities you possess with other people. Number three: you will only use your skills for good."

"Okay," we agree.

"Did your parents teach you how to use your skills?" I ask.

"I was five and they had to tell me because my extensions were fully formed and I started emitting blue light when I cried. Aeternians connect to their skills at all different ages. Some can be an hour old when they show abilities. You, Naia, are more in the later-range. A lot of us begin bridging the conduits: water, fire, air and light, when we're young."

"I like fire," says Elody. "I like when it cooks my food."

"We all like that," says Mom. "Naia, you're a Triteian Aeternian and can summon fresh water like me and both your grandmothers. There are other Triteians who can spin salt water. Your father is a Hyperion, a master of light.

"Crinae and Elody, we don't know what you two are yet. Your skills haven't surfaced by chance."

"Can't we do something cool?" I ask. I'm afraid if Mom keeps talking, she'll say we've run out of time and make me do work.

"Fine," says Mom, massaging her temples. "Your father thinks I should start you off with a lesson on Fluctus Creatura since you were so adept at creating that wave, but Dimitri thinks a lot of things that are wrong. I'm starting with Hydro Laxamentum."

"Those are silly words," giggles Elody as she rocks back and forth on the cushions.

"Those silly words are Latin and mean growing water," says Mom. "Close your eyes, Naia, and hold out your palms. I'll drip a drop or two of water on them."

I do what she says and shut my eyes so there's only darkness behind them. I feel droplets of water slide down my palms.

"It tickles!" I laugh.

"Focus, Naia," warns Mom. "Imagine the three drops of water as six drops of water. Now 12. Can you feel them multiplying, growing, filling your hands?"

I can. I lace my fingers to form a bowl to collect the swell of water. The more I think of the water, the more it pools and eventually trickles through my hands as a tiny stream.

"Good work," says my mother to me. "Now clap your hands."

I hit the palms of my hands together, causing cool sweet water to squirt into my nose. It startles me and I snort in more water and start coughing. I open my eyes to see Mom laughing at me. I get a glimpse of her in an unusual carefree moment. Her hazel eyes brighten, her sharp cheekbones are highlighted by the stretch of her beautiful smile and for a moment, only for a moment, there's no sign of stress.

Elody rolls around the floor in hysterics and Crinae has the tiniest of smiles.

"I haven't laughed that hard in ages," says Mom, gasping for air. "Thanks for that."

She kisses me on the top of my curly head.

"You did a great job today," she says. "Let's crack open the books before lunch."

"That's it?" I ask. "I want to know more."

"Power is no good without knowledge. First you need to learn about grammar and spelling and all that good stuff."

"No, I don't," I say. "I know how to spell water and that's good enough. How will knowing other stuff help?"

"More than you know," Mom says, pitching a book at me.