Chapter Seven

That next day Katie, Fez, and Ash spent the whole day together. They got a room set up for Katie and even taught her the cash register at the corner store. They went home that night after having so much and watched some movies and smoked some weed together to celebrate. It was late that night when Katie decided to go to sleep. Fez could tell something was off, so he didn't want to leave her by herself. At about 2:30 a.m, Katie decided to go to bed. Her and Fez said their good nights and walked down the hall together.

I laid down in my new bed in my new room at Fez's. I stared up at the ceiling. I couldn't sleep. I started crying.

Katie was diagnosed with anxiety and depression at a young age. The anxiety came in spurts and usually only acted up if there was conflict, yelling, or heavy decision making. The depression however got bad. By age eight, the signs were already so visible that she ended up leaving the Catholic school she went to take a mental health stay at an institution. She was put on medicine at 8 years old that is a higher dosage than most adults, but hey we're all fucked in the head somehow. The crying didn't stop, an hour went by and she still hadn't fallen asleep.

I was trying to keep my sobs down. I didn't wanna bring down the whole party situation, but I guess it didn't work. I curled myself up into a little ball and I heard foot steps coming down the hall.

"Fuck it's Fez." I thought to myself. I stopped crying and turned on my other side, so I was facing the walk instead of the door. I heard the door open.

"Katie are you good?" I heard Fez ask. I didn't answer. I just laid there silent. I heard a click and saw light shining through my closed eyelids. I heard Fez walk closer to the end of my bed. He stopped and looked.

"You know I know you're awake. You might as well tell me what's wrong, I could hear you when I went in the bathroom." Fez said as he started sitting on the end of my bed. I didn't answer. Fez put his hand on my arm and started brushing across it.

"Katie. I know you're awake and you're just faking. Just please tell me what's wrong. I won't judge, I won't kick you out, I won't yell, none of it." I slowly raised up and turned to where I was facing him. I saw his face soften up as he looked at me with my messed up hair, tear streaks down my face, my pillow that was absolutely sopping wet from my tears.

"I just......" I was completely cut off by myself when I started crying again. Fez grabbed me and pulled me closer to him.

"Hey come on, I don't wanna wake Ash up." Fez grabbed my hand and pulled me up. He led me to his room and shut the door behind us. I stood there awkwardly not knowing what to do with tears streaming down my face.

"Well sit down Katie." I stumbled over to his bed and sat down. Fez sat next to me as I continued to cry. I looked up at him and he looked like he was going to cry.

"Fez... I'm sor-ry." I said in between sobs. He pulled me into a hug.

"It's okay, don't worry about me. What's going on?" He spoke so softly and soothing, obviously trying to calm me down and make me feel better about everything.

"I just- I miss my brother and I miss Julius. I feel weird not telling my brother goodnight before I go to sleep after I just got home from Julius's house. My mom did this and I can't stand the shit anymore."

"I know you can't, but you just gotta work through it. You can't sit here and cry every night because of this. We'll get you clean, we'll show your mom."

"It's just days like this are the reason I can't get clean. They are the reason I started this in the first place."

"I know, but you just gotta get through the bad days. What's going on in that head of yours?"

"Way too much. Trust me, if I told you what was going on you would think I'm crazy."

"I probably would, but let's be real here. I'm not going to be able to do anything about it." I pulled away from Fez's hug.

"Do you really wanna know everything?"

"Yeah I do." I watched his face change when he looked at me. He went from a stone cold gaze to a softened up baby face kid.

"Okay, so when I was eight I was diagnosed with anxiety. My mom forced me to go to the doctor because a bunch of kids were yelling in gym class and I fell to the floor screaming and crying. While I was there not only was I diagnosed with anxiety, but severe depression too. I've been on medication for my brain since I was eight. At about eleven one of my teachers called my mom, he wanted me to get tested for ADHD because even with anxiety and depression I shouldn't act the way I did. Things were going good on the medicine until they put me on Adderall. My depression hit an all time high and it has been since. I started doing pills to calm me down and give me the mental strength and peace I needed, and it worked until I realized what it was doing to the people around me. It didn't matter though at that point, I was already addicted."

"Damn bro. It's okay though. I gotchu. We'll figure it out one step at a time and figure out what we can do. How about it?"

"I think it's a great idea." I said smiling through my tears. Knowing that somebody deep down cared about me this much made me even more sad. I didn't deserve this kind of treatment. It just made me cry more.

Fez pulled me down beside him and wrapped me in a big hug and pulled me closer to him.

"Look kid, we're in this together. We'll figure it out together, I promise."

The next morning Katie woke up in Fez's bed with Fez gone. Little did she or he know, that one night and the one mental breakdown would be the first of many. All of those would also cause some sort of connection between the two of them.