Chapter 5- The Missing Earthbender

I guess being the executive manger of the Fire ferrets meant that I had to go to their team practices. Usually I wouldn't mind, but it was so damn early, almost as early as dads mediation sessions.

When Korra and I arrive, Bolin and Mako were already suited up in their practice uniforms.

I walk over to Mako and pull him down to my level. "Who's idea was it for me to come in during practices?"

Mako's eyes widen. "Um, uh. It was mine, I'm sorry. I didn't know you weren't a morning person."

I let go of his gear. "Ever since I've arrived in republic city, I've been so drained."

"Do you want a blanket?" Mako warmly asks.

I eagerly shake my head as I follow him upstairs into the attic of the arena. "Wow, cool. You live here?"

"Yeah, nothing fancy." Mako replies, going into his room and handing me his blanket.

Maybe he didn't want to talk about it, so I let go of the hundreds of questions in my head.

I let out a yawn. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, no, it's completely fine." Mako says, pursing his lips.

His eyes scan my body as they land on my belly button. "Cute, do it yourself?"

I look down at my piercing. "Nah, some rando in the South Pole was running a tattoo and piercings shop in his igloo."

"You got your belly button pierced in someone's igloo?" Mako laughs in disbelief.

"Yeah, surprisingly, it didn't get infected."

Mako continues laughing. "You are strange."

A loud voice then booms through the apartment. "Mako! Fara! What's taking so long?"

"We're coming bro!" Mako yells back. We walk back to the gym.

"What's the big deal with making me train this early in the morning?" Korra asks, with an irritated face. "The morning is evil."

"We're the rookies." Bolin explains. "So, we get the worst time slot in the gym."

"And you're the rookiest of us all," Mako smears. "We gotta get you up to speed."

I close my eyes, blocking out all the sound in the room, but soon get woken up by the gym door slamming open.

"There are my little hardworking street urchins." A groggy voice speaks.

My eyes widen as I roll off the bench. "It's an honor to finally meet you, Avatar and you also Lady Fara."

I eye him up and down. "And you are?"

He takes off his hat, revealing his bald ass head. "Butakha. I run this whole pro bending shebang."

"Okay?" I reply, grabbing Mako's blanket and wrapping it around me.

Butakha pulls out a stack of yuans and places it in Mako's hand. "But not so fast."

Butakha grabs a small portion of the money. "First, you owe me for the Avatar's new gear, gym and equipment rentals for last month, rent on your apartment, and a personal loan for groceries." Mako was now left with no money.

"Oh and one more small item of business." Butakha continues. "The Fire ferrets need to ante up 30,000 yuans for the championship pot."

"30,000 yuans?!" Bolin exclaims.

Butakha places his hand on Mako's chest. "Sorry, kids. You've got till the end of the week to come up with the dough, or else you're out of the tournament."