1917

***

Months had passed since Aurora had saved Tommy's life, and their squad had been moved to Verdun, after surviving the bloodiest battle in the Somme. It was non-stop, hundreds of men losing their lives every day, Leaving their families behind back home.

  The Shelby brothers stayed together watching each other's backs. Their family always came first, Always.

Whilst the men fought to survive, the women at home took over the men's jobs. They kept their country running, so the men had a place to come home to.

Aunt Pol struggled to keep the betting den running, and with new challenges and competition coming after them she had to hire the men unfit to go to war. She kept her worries to herself, not wanting to put any more pressure on Aurora her only help. 

Aurora Shelby had been a godsend to the families in Small Heath, giving food and clothes packages to those in need. She didn't realize the impact she made on their lives. They would be forever in her depth. 

***

Once Aurora got back from the war, she delved deeper into her work. Only stopping to visit her family and help out in the hospitals.

 Her clothing brand had taken off, the rich and powerful sought after her clothing and exquisite designs. High lords and powerful men who escaped the war joined their wives shopping in hopes of catching a glimpse of the lady blessed by the gods. Rumors spread of her stunning looks, she was the talk of London and Paris alike. An Aphrodite reborn.

Within the space of two months, Aurora had opened three shops in the Wizarding world and another in Birmingham. No matter how much purebloods frowned upon half-breeds, they couldn't argue with the quality of her products. Her brand infected their minds, if you didn't own it you were looked down on by their high society. Aurora laughed at them behind closed doors, who knew the pure blood's stature would help her business grow.

Even with the money she gave to help out Polly and the families of Small Heath, her Gringotts account was steadily growing larger. With the use of magic, her creations were making themselves as she slept. 

At the moment Aurora was pondering the idea of opening a few new establishments in other countries, to further her reach in the fashion industry. Her next target was Milan, Italy.  The home to high fashion. It was her next big adventure.

***

"Aurora darling!" Ms.Polly called out her raspy voice echoing through the betting den. Business was slow, not a lot of men had stayed behind. The Shelby's main source of income was from protection and Aurora. It was more than some, but people still relied on Polly to pay them.

"Ouí Pól" Aurora's heavy French accent tinkled into the room, her face buried in one of her sketchbooks. Ruffling Finn's hair as she walked past, Aurora looked up after not receiving a reply.

"Pol?"

"A man, a very posh and entitled man was asking around these parts for you. I have been told by a total of ten women so far, you are well-liked" Aunt Pol spoke calmly, inhaling her cigarette in thought. "A man? here? Do you think he has news on my Tommy, Pol?"

"No. He had an accent I was told, Italian" Aurora nodded her head in confusion, what would an Italian want with her? "Do you want me to meet him, Polly?"

"No, not yet. I've got people following him. They'll find out what he wants. It's strange he came here though, and not one of your shops". Flickering her eyes up, she studied the woman in front of her. Aurora had done so much of this family, she would not let any harm fall upon her.

"Ok, I'll be sure to extra careful then?" her nerves spiked, and the warning from Polly was unexpected. With the men at war, women were able to walk down the street at night feeling more comfortable than before. It was a reality check that dangers still lurked around the corner.

"Thanks, Aunt Pol" Aurora smiled briefly, kissing her cheek as she made her way back to Tommy's room. Just as her foot hit the first step a light knocking could be heard on the front door. Raising an inquisitive eyebrow, she placed her sketchbook delicately on the side table.

"Hello? Can I help you, Sir?" Aurora asked sweetly, hiding her body behind the door. She gazed at the man's face, it was one that she didn't recognize. He was a handsome man, with a strong build that towered over her frame.

"Aurora Cadieux?" he questioned, his voice rough making it obvious that English was not his mother's tongue.

"No. Who are you? We don't get many men knocking on our doors these days" 

"A man looking to invest in her business" he replied, an infuriating smirk resting on his face. "Well from what I heard she's doing quite well without the help of any man".

"Hmph! I can't argue with that. That's why I want to invest"

"Well good luck on your endeavors in finding her" Aurora smiled fakly, moving to shut the door. With a firm grip, the man held the door open. "Strange you look just as they described Ms.Aurora Cadieux. To be blessed by the gods". 

"Is it a crime to be attractive?" Aurora asked stubbornly, her rising voice catching the attention of Polly in the betting den, and an elderly man hobbling up the street.

"Mrs.Shelby are you all right?" he questioned moving closer to the woman's house. "No, I'm afraid this man can't take a hint. He's looking for an Aurora Cadieux, someone who doesn't live here" 

Catching on quickly the elderly man shuffled himself between the man and woman. He had no hope if the man were to take action, but he would do his best to protect the Angel of Small Heath.

"No problem here, just a simple mistake. I'll be on my way then" the stranger announced, irritation riddled in his tone. With a tap of his hat, the man carried on, but not before looking back with a promising smirk, this would not be the last time Aurora saw this man.

When the man was no longer visible, Aurora turned to the man in thanks. "Thank you! You truly are a gentleman, Would you like to come in for a cup of tea?" 

"No darling, it's alright. I'm on my way to the hospital my wife is not well" the elderly man, thanked leaning heavily on his walking stick. "Well then let me come with you, I volunteer there sometimes. Maybe I could help her as my thanks to you?" Aurora grinned not giving the man time to answer. Quickly shrugging on her coat, she informed Polly she was leaving alongside her new friend William. She was going to do her very best in fixing his wife.