one

CHAPTER ONE;first meetings

CHAPTER ONE;
first meetings

MOONLIGHT SPILLS INTO THE BEDROOM. With the window slightly open, soft wind blows through the room, ruffling the curtains. Down below, sounds of cars honking and traffic piling can be heard, but they do nothing but create white noise.

Amala sits crossed leg on her bed, thumbing through her newest read, "Prodigy" by Marie Lu. She's wearing a plain white T-shirt with lose legged pants and pink fluffy socks; perfect sleepwear for the first days of spring. Her raven hair is tied up in a lose bun, curls falling loosely from parts where the hair tie was worn. Even then, she was comfortable.

The rest of the house beyond her room was quiet and dark. Her parents had to take an emergency trip a couple states away to stay with sick family, and Amala couldn't join them due to school and other commitments. While it had taken a while, she managed to convince her protective parents to let her stay alone. In exchange, her aunt would drop by everyday after school to make sure everything was alright. Amala was more than alright with that.

She'd be lying if she said she didn't enjoy the vacant house. Despite having laidback parents, the empty apartment filled her with a sense of eerie calm, and she took full liberty in enjoying such predicament. She spent the last couple of days baking various things in the kitchen at odd hours in the night (she burned four pans of cookies in the process. Only two made it out alive.), dancing through corridors as she blasted Nicki Minaj and The Weeknd, and had a full Harry Potter movie marathon... in one sitting.

Needless to say, Amala was having a great time.

Now, however, Amala was spending her final hour before bed reading — a hobby she's had since she was eleven. She was on her third book this week, the end of the "Legend" trilogy by Marie Lu. The raven had enjoyed reading them as their genres were dystopian, sci-fi and romance — her favorites.

Currently, one of the main character, Day, was walking through the streets of the Republic. Amala read through each page, book rested on her thighs, as her fingers traced its delicate spine. She repeated these movements, flipping each page and changing position when needed.

After about an hour, Amala deemed herself done for the night. Her vision was getting groggy and the words had began smearing together. She was tired.

With slow movements, the raven set her book on her nightstand and went to do her final steps before bed. Her lazy limbs dragged her from her bed, then out of her room and into the hallway. She walked a couple steps to her front door, made sure it was locked, before walking back. Amala closed her door and took heavy steps towards her bed, socks digging into the carpet in a lazy hurry to get into a warm and comfortable place.

She was just about to settle under the covers when a loud BANG! rattled against her balcony window.

Amala's body went rigid with shock and her arm hovered over the sheets. What was that? Her heart was beating furiously against her chest and the noise was ringing in her ears.