thirty two

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO;boyfriend!

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO;
boyfriend!

"PETER!" AMALA LAUGHS. "THEY'RE JUST MY PARENTS."

"That's why I'm nervous!"

Warm sunlight flows through Amala's bedroom. Quiet music plays in the background — "Favorite" by Nicki Minaj and virtually any romance song on her various playlists.

She chuckles at Peter's response and hums along to the song, scanning her closet for a possible outfit.

Today, Peter is going to meet her parents.

Due to her summer trip to Europe's events, Amala never had a chance to sit her parents down and tell them she was in a relationship. They'd been so busy helping her recuperate that talk of boys and romance just didn't seem right.

Because several months have passed and the new school year is finally about to start, now seems like a good time to talk about it.

A week ago, Amala finally told them.

During dinner, she approached the topic gently, making sure to use the right words. She explained that she'd been friends with Peter for several months and during their final trip to London, he asked her out. She carefully omitted the fact that it was just moments after the city had burst into flames and he was in a spandex suit, bruised and hurt. Instead, she said that after they finally found each other among the chaos, he'd asked her out in a flurry of pent up emotions; he realized how much he liked her after almost losing her, according to Amala. She'd agreed and confessed she shared mutual feelings and that was that.

They took the news rather well (although her father seemed a little apprehensive of his only daughter dating). However, all in all, they were more than supportive. Her parents knew Peter was a good kid who was well established at school and kindhearted — that was all they needed to hear.

After that conversation, Amala's parents insisted Peter come over for dinner to get to know him better.

So, here they are. 

"Peter," Amala soothes through the phone, running her hand through her clothing rack. "It's okay. You're going to be okay. It's just dinner."

He whines in response. "Yeah, dinner with my girlfriend's parents."

Settling on a pair of black bell-bottom jeans and a pink crop top, Amala shuts her closet.

A soft blush creeps on her cheeks and she lets out a slight giggle.

"Why are you laughing?" Peter pouts.