sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN;bye, bye New York!

CHAPTER SIXTEEN;
bye, bye New York!

THE SUN BEGINS ITS SLOW DECENT INTO THE HORIZON. On a busy Saturday, cars and taxis make their way through respective terminals, dropping off and picking up families. The wheels of a suitcase get caught on a sidewalk crack, a child sits on top of a cart, bags are forgotten in faraway cars. All around, the airport is buzzing with traffic.

"Alright, this is it." Amala breaths out, suitcase in hand. "I'm excited." She confesses.

Her parents give her a bright smile even if sadness reflects through their eyes.

"I'm going to miss you, Albe," her mother admits sadly, tears brimming her eyes. "So, so much. Have fun, okay?" ('Albe' means my heart in Arabic)

Amala brings her mother into a tight embrace. "I'm going to miss you, too. Don't worry, I will."

Pulling away, she hugs her father, too. "Baba," she whispers when her father squeezes her.

"Stay safe, Zahra, okay?" Her mumbles into her hair. "We love you very much. Always remember that."

"I know, Baba. I love you, too." She says, pulling away.

Her parents look her over with smiles on their face.

"I'll text you before we take off, okay?" She says before a voice has her turning around.

"Mala!" Someone squeals.

Turning around, Amala knows exactly who that is.

"Aki!" She shouts, waving her hand.

In the distance, Akira, Ned and Peter walk out the door, making their way towards Amala.

Akira breaks out into a small run, stumbling on her way before slamming Amala into a bone crushing hug.

"It's about fucking time! I couldn't handle Mary's fucking tantrum over her stupid boyfriend any longer." She whispers into her neck as they rock back and forth. "I'm glad you're here."

Amala laughs, squeezing her best friend's shoulders. "Yikes, glad I missed that. My mom made me quadruple check my suitcase, so..."

"Speaking of," Akira starts as she pulls away. "Khalto, Khalo, hi!" She smiles at Amala's parents.
('Khalto' means aunt in Arabic. 'Khalo' means uncle.)

"Akira," her parents greet. "How are you, Habibti?"
('Habibti' means 'my love' in Arabic)

"I'm good!" She beams, hugging Amala's parents.