eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN;water monster!

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN;
water monster!

FEAR.

If Amala could sum up her feelings in one word, it would be fear. Not just surface level fright — no — it would be pure, unadulterated terror.

Her eyes must be deceiving her. They must be because there's no way a giant wave has risen from a shallow canal. There's no way that the giant wave has arms and a face. Absolutely no way. She must dreaming — or better yet — she must be hallucinating. Amala runs through a mental list of everything she ate this morning; any food that causes complex and irrational visions? Any allergies she's unaware of?

"Look out!" Someone says in a panic.

Suddenly, a giant gondola sweeps into her peripheral. It's carrying two screaming people, riding one of the tidal waves the main wave must've caused.

Her eyes widen. It's coming straight for her.

With a yelp, Amala throws herself to the side. Her back hits a wall and she sucks in a breath in pain.

The gondola rides against the sidewalk, smashing through a door. A loud squeak follows, then the door drops against the floor, it's hinges smashed. Both it's passengers look mortified as they clutch each other and in the midst of her horror, Amala realizes it's Akira and Ned.

"Akira!" Amala screams, standing up in a hurry to rush to her best friend.

Her back muscles scream in pain but she ignores them; adrenaline pushes the thoughts away, anyway.

"Oh, my god. Akira? Akira, are you okay?" She shouts against the sounds of terror around her.

"I'm -" Says Akira, eyes blown out wide. She's fully drenched and her hair clings to her face and shoulders. "I'm okay. I'm - uh - yeah. I'm fine."

Amala grapples her into a hug, soaking her own clothes in the process.

She hears Akira mumble, "what the fuck just happened?" into her neck.

Amala shakes her head. "I don't know. I - I'm just glad you're okay."

Akira nods hysterically, her eyes still wide and her mouth weaved into an 'o' shape.

"Okay," she nods her head. "Ned? Peter? Fuck, let's go!"

Another wave rises from the water. This time, it plummets back into the source, sending a massive current in its circumference. The wave crashes against buildings, burying them under the liquid.