fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN;can't stop because i love it, hate the way i love it

CHAPTER FOURTEEN;
can't stop because i love it, hate the
way i love it

"I LOVE YOU" BY CHARLIE XCX PLAYS ON THE AUX.

In the driver's seat is Akira; in a short purple dress with beading across the bust, she looked incredible. Her hair was tied up and pinned back while her makeup was soft and nude. Besides her, Amala sat in the passenger seat. Clad in a sheer golden dress, with similar beading to Akira's, she looked amazing. In contrast to Akira, her hair was left down — her natural curls on full display. Her makeup was also more dramatic, with dark eyeliner (courtesy of Akira) and bright red lipstick.

They had put their attire together days before, as soon as an 'end of year' party had been announced. The entire high school division had been invited; freshmen to seniors. As juniors, the girls had debated going. They wondered if they could've done something else that night, like have a sleepover or play video games. But who were they kidding? This was a party. Even though they weren't the most popular people at school, that didn't mean they'd miss out on the opportunity to dress pretty and dance the night away.

Needless to say, they looked great and they were beyond excited.

Good energy is all around them tonight. Today was the last day of school and, in a couple days, they were going on vacation. They were going to have the best summer. Happiness was inevitable.

The first melody of "Helium" by Glass Animals begins playing.

"No, no. Don't skip it." Amala tells Akira, who's hand is on the 'play next' button.

The melody continues and Amala sighs, suddenly feeling reminiscent.

So much has happened in the last couple of months. In April, she'd crossed paths with the city's beloved hero. In April, she met Ned and Peter. In May, they officially became friends; merging their hangouts as a group of four, meeting up during free periods...etc.  In May, she'd almost died, too.

It's been almost a month since the accident and Amala is just starting to fully get her freedom back.

She'd spent two weeks in the hospital, then two weeks at home to recuperate — she was done. Tasting freedom like this after a month of isolation was liberating.

Time flies, she muses silently, humming to the lyrics.

Playing with her charm bracelet, her fingers trace over its newest addition: a sun pendant.

Amala's birthday was just shy of two weeks ago and she spent it with her friends at a quaint café near home. They'd insisted they go somewhere low-key for Amala's sake and despite her protests, she conceded.