nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN;aftermath

CHAPTER NINETEEN;
aftermath

"L'UOMO DEL MISTERIO." SAYS THE NEWS ANCHOR THROUGH THE TV.

Clips of what happened roll across the screen. They're blurry and they obviously come from dingy iPhone cameras but they still show what happened pretty well.  Water jets splash across the screen and people are heard screaming. The clips make Amala shiver.

"Sounds like his name is Mysterio." Sam Martin says from across the room.

"'L'uomo del misterio' is Italian for 'Man of Mystery'. They don't actually know who he is." Amala pipes up from the base of the stairs, her fingers still shakingly playing with the card.

Everyone turns to her.

"Amala!" Ned walks up to her, giving her a light hug. "How're you feeling?"

"Much better." Amala smiles before she remembers: "Where's - uh - where's Peter?"

Before Ned has a chance to reply, Sam Martin walks up to her and wraps her into an unexpected embrace.

"Holy shit," he mumbles into her shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Amala tenses, taken aback by the sudden show of physical affection. Her hands awkwardly rest in her hoodie's pockets for a couple seconds before she reluctantly returns the hug — not as enthusiastically as him.

"Hi, Sam," she grumbles, lump in her throat. "Yeah, I'm alright."

He pulls away, hands still on her shoulders. "I was worried, you know? When I saw you with Akira and Ned... I - I'm just glad you're okay." He swallows, chuckling. "You scared us all."

"I didn't mean to." She smiles apologetically. "You didn't need to worry. It wasn't as bad as it looked."

The raven looks at his hands — that are still on his shoulders — and looks back at Sam.

"Oh!" He blushes, embarrassed. "Sorry, I - uh - I'm kinda a touchy person. Um - especially when I'm nervous."

Amala bites her lip. "You're nervous?"

Sam intakes a sharp breath. "Around you? Yeah."

Her eyes widen. Wow... okay.

"That's bold," she replies.

Sam laughs. "I know you like it when people are forward. So I'm being forward."