12 | Dam It

XII | DAM IT

There was an air of expectancy in the arena when Kael arrived with the heavy bundle of what he could identify as weapons. The Advanced Class 1 students surrounded Seis as she continued giving them instructions for the day's fitness-combat exercise. The students further at the back whispered amongst each other until Kael walked through.

"Ah Kael, just in time," Seis said, pointing her glaive at him. "Bring those here."

Kael didn't mind being at the center of attention, and he made sure to shoot a smile at Tyra, Wynt, and Kala. Seis took the weight off him the moment he was within reach and dropped the bundle onto a table next to her. It landed with a loud thud and there was a muted clatter from within the bound cloth. The fit-co teacher made quick work to unravel the contents and several rusty swords fell out.

Kael scratched his head, wondering what Seis could possibly be planning to do with a few old swords. From the looks of them, they were cheaply made and would likely break the moment they were subjected to any amount of pressure. There were also only five old swords, so he discarded the idea that it was to distribute the weapons among the students.

Seis smiled and a ripple of unease spread through the students. Everyone knew what that meant. This fit-co session was going to be hell.

"Well," Seis said, lovingly caressing the closest sword. "It's been a while. These swords are no good for combat now, but they hold quite a special place in this arena." She grabbed the hilt and held it in front of her with practiced ease. It was only when she turned it for closer inspection that Kael noticed the sigil branded at the flat of the blade nearest the crossguard. It bore Seis's insignia, but something was off. Those glyphs...How many times had he etched those glyphs?

Seis used water. Kael checked the sigil on her glaive to confirm. Yes, so why did a sword bearing her insignia have a fire sigil? Being the caster's assistance and thus having the privilege of standing right next to her, Kael examined the rest of the swords on the table.

"Huh," he murmured, perplexed. All the swords had a different element even though they obviously belonged to Seis.

Surprise sprang on the students when the sword Seis was holding caught fire. Kael didn't expect the sudden whoosh of heat and took an involuntary step back.

"Aha." Seis laughed. "I forgot what this felt like. Oof, yes, that burns." The flames died away, leaving behind a light scent of smoke. Sweat dotted Seis's forehead. She pointed the sword at the group of students. "Now, then. Let us begin our lesson."

"First." She handed Kael her glaive and grabbed a second sword of the water element. "Understand that this will be a difficult day for you. By the time we're finished, you won't be able to cast for the next few days. Fortunately, the next fit-co lesson won't be concentrated on casting."

This earned a tremor of groans. Kael noted that Seis was having too much fun tormenting the students. He leaned the glaive against the table, careful to balance it so it wouldn't fall over.

"Casting is not just about controlling the elements." Seis spread out her arms, the swords of fire and water on either side of her. "The most important part of the process is controlling your uthra stream. Observe."

There was a moment of silence as the students held their breaths in anticipation. Seis knitted her brows in concentration, a drop of sweat trickling down her cheek. Her eyes swirled with a mix of orange and red. It was subtle, but soon enough, Kael noticed an aura wrapping around the swords. The air above around the fire sword wavered with heat while its water counterpart beaded with small drops like a leaf speckled with morning dew.