11 | An Unusual Proposal

XI | AN UNUSUAL PROPOSAL

"By Drokk, you look absolutely awful," Parado, proctor of Azure Wings, proclaimed loudly when Kly stepped foot into the cavernous Saphir Council Conference room.

Kly was sure he looked as horrible as he felt. After his encounter with the demon not less than a week ago, he had gotten restless. Sleep eluded him, work exhausted him, and all the while his mind was racing trying to find out what Lyliath and her allies were planning that he couldn't concentrate on the simplest tasks. Brushing his teeth cut into his gums, taking a shower scalded his back, signing documents leaked ink through to his desk, and he was always too busy trying to observe everyone he came across, trying to figure out who he could trust that he couldn't hold a conversation past a couple of words between them.

"Thanks for the compliment." Kly wasn't sure if Parado had even heard him. How he had it in him to respond with dry sarcasm, he didn't know.

Parado quirked a bushy dark brow, his mustache twisting as he pursed his lips. He shrugged on his azure robe and handed Kly a silver one.

"Are you sure you don't need any rest, Proctor Kly? You look as if you've been dragged through hell itself."

Kly certainly felt like it. Lyliath had opened up a whole new web of mysteries that Kly wasn't sure he even wanted to follow. He was sure he'd get so tangled up he wouldn't be able to move if he even tried. To make it worse, every string that weaved the web would be laced with paranoia and distrust, and Kly simply wasn't sure he was mentally prepared for that.

Somehow, Kly mustered enough energy to push his worries away. He knew it was a terrible idea because the moment the dam lifted every dark thought would flood his mind and drown him, but at this moment, when he had to attend a meeting with the council, he needed to be sharp. At the very least, determining if one—or all—of the other members were working with demons would keep his mind occupied enough to keep everything else at bay.

"I'll be just fine, Proctor Parado. Thank you for your concern. Maybe I'll apply for a short vacation after the Anniversary Ball."

They both knew that wasn't true.

"That does sound like a good idea. Let us take our place then, Proctor. I hear we'll be having a ghost today."

Fantastic. It was just what Kly needed to have even more running through his mind. He sighed as he traded his black coat, gloves, and cap for his silver robe.

"Yes, I'd forgotten about that. I'm sure the matter will be resolved quickly."

They took their place at their podiums. Biyanhi, being himself, was already waiting for them at his own place, the clover engraved in front of his podium glowing a bright green to indicate he was present. Kly watched two beams of light shoot from his and Parado's place to the middle of the room, where they met Biyanhi's.

Soon enough the rest of the proctors joined, and the typical burst of red smoke began their discussion. First came the usual announcement from Biyanhi about trivial matters that barely crossed the threshold of importance to make it into the meet. The academy's financial situation was getting a boost from the Gaèbille Shipyard in exchange for having casters licenced by SCA to exclusively travel in Gaèbille ships to travel to Maritrea. It was an ingenious move by Liola Gaèbille, really. The direct association the company's ships would have with casters alone would be enough to raise both their costs and popularity among captains at once. In the long run, she would likely be the richest shipbuilder in the world. Of course that meant a lot of paperwork. As usual.

With the change of shipping arrangements were also information about this year's graduation, arrangements for the Anniversary Ball and who had already been invited, security updates after the phantom attack, and others that Kly didn't really care for. Mostly, he'd been paying attention to hear if there was anything about phantoms other than Cerrix, but Biyanhi ended on a rather optimistic note.