9 | Introductions

IX | INTRODUCTIONS

Kael dropped a box full of textbooks on the ground and groaned, feeling his back crick with the exertion. He could almost hear his spine creaking as he straightened. The first day of classes after the WCT wasn't particularly special with classes resuming from where they'd left off. Most students had been given homework and other assignments, but Kael, being merely a teacher's assistant, had been relegated back to the archives for some heavy-lifting.

He sighed, pondering deeply about the strange emptiness he felt. He never knew he would ever want to write an essay or study from a textbook. For the first time in his life, he actually missed procrastinating and having a deadline niggling at the back of his mind, prodding, whispering in a sinister voice that he should 'start the assignment or be left behind'. What strange days these were.

"Kael!"

The familiar voice of his sister jolted Kael out of his existential thoughts. He blinked, for a second thinking his mind was tricking him. Then, Kala appeared in front of him like a ghost, and Kael staggered back.

She grinned, that mischievous twinkle in her eye still as bright as when they were kids. Kael shook his head. How had he forgotten Kala had come back to him?

Returning her smile, he gestured to a nearby table. "You here to study?"

Their footsteps were swallowed by the carpeting. Kala laughed. "No, silly. I'm here to see you."

"Me? Why?" Kael pulled out a chair and plopped down, feeling the exhaustion of the day seeping into his bones. He rolled his shoulder in an attempt to stretch out the ache that had settled there.

Kala tilted her head before taking a seat. "What do you mean why? Because we're siblings. Why do I need a reason to spend time with my brother?"

"Oh." Kael felt something pinch his heart. He shrugged, trying to cover the hurt that overcame him. "I guess I just never had anyone come to see me just to spend time with me. Kly was always busy with work, and I only ever saw him when he came to Paraiba for business, and Roder always made sure I had no friends."

He held back a sigh and smiled when he saw the compassion in Kala's expression. Waving his hand, he said, "But, I'm happy now. I get to see Kly whenever I want, I have amazing friends, and you're back. I could get used to this."

There was a commotion of students entering the library. Kael watched an orange wisp confront them, waving its hands in an angry gibber. The students quietened to whispers and disappeared into the maze of aisles, the wisp following closely behind them.

"Your friends," Kala said, bringing his attention back to her. "I'd like to meet them. I haven't had as much luck as you. Aside from Timo and Mellana, I haven't been able to keep friends. And Mellana only became my friend out of necessity since we share a room." She chuckled. "I think I scare her more than anything, though."

"Timo?"

Kala nodded. "Mmhmm. We grew up together. I can't wait for you to meet him! He's always been my partner in crime."

A stab of jealousy cut through Kael. The life he should have had with Kala, ripped away and replaced with someone else. He tried to suppress it. It wasn't Kala's fault, and he should be grateful that Timo was there for her when Kael couldn't be.

An awkward silence misted over them. Kael picked at a splinter on the edge of the table. He had no idea how to talk to her. Should he bring up her past? What if that triggered a horrible memory, prompting Alacran to take her away from him? Kael straightened his posture. No. Kala was his sister, his twin. He couldn't have a repeat of Kly. He wanted to know everything about her, the way twins should.