10 | Of Body and Soul

X | OF BODY AND SOUL 

Early in the morning, when even the sun hadn't risen, the gentle songs of birds were the first sign of a new day. Kael shivered, zipping up his jacket and shoving his hands into his pockets. The path before him was still dark, but the sky was brightening enough that he wasn't completely blind.

He yawned. Having gone to bed later than usual should have kept him sound asleep until breakfast, but he had a restless night, tossing and turning at everything that had happened since he'd entered Saphir Casters Academy. Never in his dreams did he think he would meet so many friends. And Kala...

Slapping his cheeks to stave off sleep, Kael picked up his pace. He followed a familiar dirt path surrounded by trees and the rich pulse of chirps towards a single destination. The shed holding old weapons still hadn't been repaired since the phagocytic blighter attacked, so the door easily creaked open. Frankly, Kael was surprised its hinges were still intact.

A chill swept over him when he peeked inside. It was pitch black inside, having no clear light source. Kael wished he had brought some type of light source. He considered using one of the weapons to create light but decided against it. No. He didn't even remember what the light sigil looked like, anyway.

Shrugging off the eerie feeling of being watched, Kael stepped inside the shed. Though the scythe he'd used to fight against Cerrix and the blighter had been rendered useless, there were other scythes in the shed that he could use.

"A scythe..." Kael muttered. He stood in front of a large bucket holding several farming tools, from rakes to shovels and, of course, scythes. It made sense, he supposed, that he was best with a scythe. After all, it was pretty much the only tool he'd used to practice casting at Hont's farm. Still, he'd hoped for a sword. Scythes just seemed so...boring. A farmer's tool.

"Oh, what the hell?" Kael scolded himself. "I'm a farm boy. There's nothing to be ashamed about." He picked up a scythe, feeling the hefty imbalance caused by the large blade. An imbalance that was familiar. He tested it with a swing and a slow grin spread over his face. "Fine. If I have to use a scythe to become the best caster, I'll master it."

Kael rested the scythe on his shoulders. Yes, he could get used to this. But first, he needed to train, which was the sole reason he'd left the Silver Wolf Den at this hour in the first place.

"I'll prove that I belong here," Kael whispered. He tightened his grip on the weapon at the memory of his defeat. He had to get better. He was already lagging behind everyone else. All his classmates had sufficient training with their chosen weapons. Even Wynt didn't have to worry anymore. Not with his weapon being the thing he trained with his entire life. At this rate, Kael was going to finish dead last.

With a fierce determination burning in his gut, Kael sprinted to the Jaded Arena. The sky was beginning to brighten, dark hues of blue and purple clashing with the warm oranges of the first rays. Judging from the time, Kael would have a good few hours to himself before he had to return for breakfast. Technically, he hadn't broken curfew as there was no rule against how early students could rise, but Kael didn't want to be late because after his training, he would need a full meal for the rest of the day.

Massive wooden doors loomed, and Kael stopped in his tracks. Damn! He'd completely forgotten that the arena was closed until classes. He'd never be able to train in there unless he had the key.

Groaning, Kael pulled at his hair. "Stupid, stupid, stupid! Why didn't I think of that? Argh!" He threw down the scythe with such a force that its sharp point snapped off. Kael groaned again. Useless! Where could he train now? The arena, having a wide open space with no obstacles was the perfect place for him to concentrate on building up muscles suited to best utilise the scythe as his weapon. Hunting simply wasn't enough anymore.