Chapter 8

October 2021 - Gothenburg, Sweden

After a period out from injury, both Daan and I had been able to recover in time for our Champions League match against Häcken, in Sweden. It was going to be a great match, with good competition. Not only were Daan and I set to make our comebacks, but Ada Hergerberg was also coming back after nearly 2 years out with injury. I felt for her, knowing that the feeling of helplessness during such a long injury was the absolute worst. I was excited to see some of my Swedish teammates who played for the opposing team as well, especially Stina, as I hadn't seen her since August.

As soon as we arrived in Gothenburg, we were rushed into a night training session, at the Bravida Arena. It was mostly fun, filled with competitive games in pairs and teams, which were really effective in building our team chemistry. Daan and I won all of the pair games, and although my 5-a-side team didn't win, I was content with dominating the partner work. We finished off with a 30 minute scrimmage, with my team winning by a goal from Ada.

Before the match, we had a free day in Sweden, and I decided to go get coffee with Daan, Ellie, Cat and Damaris, at a cute cafe, recommended by Stina. She was going to meet us there, as she wanted to meet all of my new Lyon teammates. Ellie and Damaris were ecstatic at the news of Daan and I finally becoming friends, and were putting the upmost effort in organising group meals and so on. We had the morning together, before we had to meet with the rest of the girls for some other team activities in the Swedish city.

"So," Daan asked, while we were walking to the cafe, "If you could have any desert or cake or pastry or whatever they're called, what would you want, like right now?"

"A kanelbullar. I'm really craving one of those. What is that in English?"

"Like a kaneelbrooje? I think they're the same, with the brown, powder?" Daan couldn't think of the words in English either, and I realised that we probably sounded quite ridiculous as we struggled.

Ellie and Cat looked as us confused, with Damaris able to tell us that we were thinking of a cinnamon roll, since she was quite proficient in Dutch.

"Oh my gosh cinnamon rolls. I completely forgot those existed." Ellie said, "Now I'm extremely hungry!"

"Well, here we are!" I said, outside of the cafe. It was a small, quaint place, decorated with a lot of pink and beige and covered in plants. "This is actually quite cute!"

We sat down, and Stina soon arrived. "Val! Jag har saknat dig! (I've missed you) Hi everyone, I'm Stina." After the usual introductions, she told us her favourite items on the menu, and the cafe happened to also have cinnamon rolls. We all ordered, and had a mini sweet feast, eating tons of small cakes and pastries, along with some of the best coffee I've ever tasted. Ellie complained, saying it just wasn't as 'good as the coffee back in Australia' but I simply ignored her, knowing she was just being true to her country.

"So Stina," Ellie asked, "Have you decided where you're going next? To play? I've heard that you're not staying at Häcken."

"I do, kind of?" Stina responded, looking at me, I assume because she felt some guilt in not telling me originally.

"Wait what?! And you didn't tell me? You're so annoying." I said laughing, knowing it was most likely because she didn't choose Man City.

"Or actually it's kind of down to two. United or Arsenal?"

"United?!" I practically shouted, "Stina you got to be joking me." Although football rivalries weren't as big in women's football as it was in our male counterparts, growing up with a family rivalry within the football clubs in Sweden, I took them very seriously.