Chapter 2

LOCKFELL DESCENDED INTO AN autumn dreamland of fake brown leaves over doorframes and pumpkin spice flavored everything when Gwenn readied herself for her first day of work. Her apartment was unpacked and decorated to her liking in soft creams and whites, so when she woke up, eyes wide and heart racing, she was able to navigate around her space with ease in order to prepare for the day ahead of her.

She went from her bedroom to her bathroom, tying her blonde hair into a low ponytail down her back and pulling a black shirt over her head. Staring at her reflection in the bathroom mirror, her flushed cheeks prominent on her fair skin, she practiced breathing exercises and spoke positive affirmations to get her through the drastic change she would undergo in the next few hours.

After a call to her mother and a quick message to her friends, she set out from her apartment complex in the heart of town, and drove to her new job.

Parking at the front of the building, Gwenn gazed up at the sign over the entrance reading in bold letters: Cathy's Day Care. She spied a mother rushing inside the small building, dressed in a fancy suit, with a little boy in overalls holding her hand. She glimpsed at the black-spotted cream floors, reflecting the light from the ceiling before the door blocked her view.

A brick landed inside her stomach, stealing her oxygen. Her hands hovered over the steering wheel, clenching it before letting out a sigh. If she didn't get herself together, she would be late to her first day. And she needed to make a good first impression over her boss.

She locked her car and walked up to the entrance, hopping over the cement steps while spazzing butterflies traveled her entire system—they started at her stomach and found a way to flutter through her veins. As she reached for the door, the same mother she saw from her car hurried out, nodding at her before making a beeline into her parking space. The door slid to a close, and Gwenn stared at her reflection before reaching out for the handle, and opened it into her new journey.

Bright lights shone onto her face as she stepped inside the daycare. Yellow and blue benches lined the lobby, unoccupied. A tall front desk stood at the left side with an abstract swirl of primary colors reaching up to the counter. A plump woman sat behind it, typing furiously at the keyboard before she looked up with big hazel eyes—her boss, Cathy King.

"You made it, Gwenn!" she exclaimed, pushing herself from her seat. Her dark hair fell from her small bun, and she raked it back behind her ears as she walked around the desk to meet her. Before she could offer her a handshake, the cry of a child pierced the air. Cathy grimaced, waving her forward instead.

They came into a room where madness reigned. Children ran around amok, screaming at each other, throwing toys onto the floor, and driving the other worker insane.

"Alice, is everything alright?" Cathy asked, bending down to help a little girl get back on her feet after stumbling.

Alice shuddered, grabbing onto the nearest running child and prying the robot from his chubby hands. "One of them started screaming and throwing things. Everyone followed right after."

A hush fell over the room as the children settled. Many took toys they dropped on the floor and began to play with them, smashing them together and giggling at their own antics. Alice sighed and made her way to them, shoulders easing down.

"Gwenn, this is Alice O'Connell," Cathy introduced them. "She's been working with us for two years." Alice nodded her head at Gwenn, offering her a welcoming smile. Gwenn noted the kind eyes gleaming against brown skin and knew she would be comfortable working with her. A calming wave swept over her.

"And Alice, this is Gwenn Davidson," Cathy continued. "She's going to start working for us starting today." Gwenn shifted beside Cathy, standing straight and quiet, smiling so as not to appear awkward. "Why don't you watch the kids while I show Gwenn around, and I'm sure Gwenn will come after to help you out with everything else?"