Chapter 16

HER MOUTH HUNG OPEN as she stood before MNTR headquarters. The building stretched up into the sky, windows glimmering with sun rays. A soft green glinted, framing each glass panel. The company's logo was displayed front and center, probably a hundred feet above the entrance. It looked like a futuristic structure as if it were plucked from the latest sci-fi movie.

The steady bustling of people brought her attention to the large glass doors. Every person that went in or out weren't clothed in black, so Gwenn had no clue where Ronan was. She sent him a text letting him know she was there, but he hadn't said anything back. She opted to go investigate the headquarters on her own.

Her white converse skidded across the sidewalk as she approached the entrance. No one paid her any mind as she pushed open the heavy door, swallowing down a grunt as a wave of cool air calmed the heat in her body. She stepped foot inside, her eyes widening at the immensity of the place.

High ceilings almost made her feel like an insect prowling around on the ground level. The lobby expanded in a circle, the logo of the company splashed right on the center of the floor. Big letters formed the renowned company name MNTR in a design that likened it to actual metal surrounded by a perfect green circle.

They must've been interested in saving the environment like few other companies.

"Excuse me, miss, where do you think you're going?"

Gwenn whirled around to face the front desk stationed close to the entrance. A male security guard in a tight-fitted white shirt and black pants rose from his seat, eyes narrowing at her small figure amidst such grandiosity. Though his arms were crossed over his chest, she noticed the gun strapped to his side and how easy it was for him to grab it.

"She's with me, Curtis." Not a second later, a warm arm wrapped around her shoulders. Ronan peered down at her, his dark eyelashes almost caressing his cheeks. Curtis sat back down behind the front desk, chuckling as Ronan escorted her the way he came from.

"This better be worth people seeing us," Gwenn mumbled. Ronan led her into a deserted hallway that stretched for miles. His arm never left its place around her, and she found that she didn't mind. His body pressed against her seeped warmth into her skin. She restrained herself from cuddling closer.

He stopped by an elevator and punched the button. "Relax, honey, no one's going to see us." He licked his lips. Gwenn pretended like the faint flush on his face was in her imagination.

"What if we get caught?" she continued. The elevator doors opened for them, and they stepped in without a word. Gwenn looked down at the gray floor, biting down on her lip to keep from staring at Ronan.

He chuckled, pressing the button for the fourth floor with his free hand. "You're acting like we're going to be caught doing unspeakable things."

This time she faced him, lips parted and eyes wide. "Ronan," she gasped.

Instead of laughing like she expected him to, he dropped his arm from her shoulders to her waist and turned her towards him. His touch burned through her mustard yellow top. Anything she might've wanted to say dissipated as his eyes met hers. The constraints of the elevator didn't give them enough space to move around, and his hands holding her in place made it harder for her to breathe. Her heart echoed in her ears as if she was falling from a great height, dropping and accelerating to the inevitable ground.

His serious expression melted off into a grin. The elevator pinged, and the doors opened on the fourth floor, right in front of a group of people waiting. Gwenn stammered, but Ronan went back to wrapping his arm around her shoulders and leading her out away from everyone that just saw them in quite a compromising position.