Chapter 45

THE WORLD WAS A spinning rock in which everything kept spinning. At least that was the only thought in Gwenn's head as she downed her...maybe fifth shot of vodka after a martini and a sip of whiskey. She had never tried whiskey before, and why not try something new for the holidays? The season called for new experiences and the start of new traditions.

A pounding bass reverberated against her skull, but the buzz traveling through her veins made it feel like a delightful tickle. She might have giggled. A man she had never met approached her, holding his arms out for her to take. She was about to accept the invitation to do...something? She wasn't sure. But the man's bare arms were empty of art. Ink didn't swirl up his skin, portraying designs and phrases she had started to memorize.

Gwenn turned away to find the bartender for another shot.

Her phone was in her hand after she swallowed the burning liquid. After a few shots, her throat had gotten used to the sensation, and she moaned when she felt it fall into her stomach. Her cracked screen revealed a bunch of nothingness. She pouted, stomping her feet like a child going through a tantrum at the grocery store.

She almost didn't notice her screen lighting up with a phone call. She didn't even read the caller ID before pressing her phone to her ear.

"Hi," Gwenn exclaimed. The music grew louder all around her, and people cheered as they danced together. Others fought to order their drinks, pushing past her to get to the bar.

"Gwenn?" That deep voice she had missed for days whispered into her ear. She gasped as she remembered who it belonged to.

"Ronan!" she cried. "Ronan, you phone. You. Oh my gosh, you."

A couple bumped into her, and she slipped onto the bar. She landed on her side with a loud yelp. A guy beside her slurred out an insult to whoever pushed her, and helped her up onto the nearest stool.

"Gwenn, what is going on? Where are you?" Ronan asked.

She ran her hands through her hair, not even remembering if she had it up or down when she first got there. It was a tangled mess around her fingers, and she had to tug through to get to her ends.

"Where am I?" she asked, pondering the question as if Ronan hadn't asked it on the other end. She stammered, heaving onto the bar with one arm holding her weight. "Places. Places. Oh! No, wait. Shop thingy with drinks."

"Honey, you're not making any sense," Ronan spoke, his tone heightening by the end. "Can you tell me where you are right now?"

Gwenn groaned and turned around to face the mass of people dancing, spilling drinks onto the floor, while others downed more alcohol than she could ever stand. "Where am I?" she yelled out.

A slurred chorus responded with: "Christmas Fest!"

She squealed, remembering that she had gotten there with her friends. She had no idea where they were. Perhaps they had found a way to have fun like she had. She didn't remember getting there, but she was enjoying the drinks and the dancing and her head spinning like a world floating in space.

"Okay, honey, I need you to stay put. I'm going to come find you," Ronan said. Gwenn nodded, though he couldn't see her. "Please, don't do anything else. Stay right there. I'm coming."

Gwenn slumped onto the bar. She might've had like three more shots, but she hadn't bought them. Bare Arms had. With his hazel eyes and curly brown hair, he strutted up to her, brimming with confidence. He chatted her up, urging her to drink as he did. His hand encircled hers, pulling her into his chest. She had no strength to fight him, so she slammed onto his body like her bones had melted down and she had no power over her limbs.