Chapter 3

When I was a little girl, I wanted to climb the chestnut trees in the gardens of our castle. Inevitably, I would slip and fall. The ensuing bruises on my elbows and knees brought tears of spite against the otherwise innocent trees. Always common-sensible, my nursemaid Eliska comforted me and wisely argued that suffering was meant to make us stronger. Indeed, I had the opportunity to learn that precept quite early on.

'Don't let a few scratches take away your courage, little dove. Those trees will still be here tomorrow,' she would say.

The purpose of her kind words was to build fortitude of character. She knew I wept easily, and that the King my father disapproved of tears in public. Of course, public now meant two maidservants and one guard, but even so. The Princess must never weep. Alas, it was impossible for me to obey that command. One frown from my father would be enough.

But no, do not pity me. It was not as bad as it sounds. My childhood was not all sadness and tears, especially once he appeared in my life.

My first memory of Lord Halvard is in the courtyard of our castle, on a beautiful summer's day. I must have been three or four years old, because I was still clinging onto Eli's apron, my hand in hers. Father had requested that the entire household come out and welcome our troupes. They were returning victorious after a four years of campaign in Northern Silesia.

Leading the men was Commander Damian Halvard, whose foreign name I had kept hearing mentioned in high praise many times by my father. As the great contingent passed through the front gates, I saw a tall, long-haired rider in shiny black armour, bringing his shiny black horse to a slow canter on the cobbles.

The knight dismounted and leapt straight into my father's open arms. They embraced like brothers. I stood a few paces away, still hiding behind my nursemaid. I had never before seen Father smile so happily, nor embrace someone with undisguised affection.

'Damian, my friend, welcome back!' my father patted the knight's wide shoulders. 'Four years is a long time.'

'It's good to be home, Jaromir,' the Lord Commander said in a warm voice. 'I know we spoke in letters, but let me stress again how sorry I am about Izabela. I'm sorry I was not here.'

My father shook his head.

'There wasn't anything you could have done. I'm at peace knowing she rests with the angels.'

'Still, perhaps I could have tried-'

'No. She would not have wanted it. And nor would I.'

I could see the blue in my father's eyes darken. Mother's untimely death had robbed him of his joy and youth.

'But let us not dwell on sorrow and regret,' he resumed with good grace. 'Today is a day of happiness and celebration. We have prepared a feast in the great hall and you are all invited!'

The King made a wide, generous gesture, and the crowd in the courtyard answered with wild cheers. The castle's doors were opened and everyone went inside. A handful of nobles and members of the King's escort remained.

'Damian, come meet my daughter, Princess Irena.'

Father beckoned to me. Eliska gave me a gentle nudge, struggling a little to convince me to come out from behind her skirts. I did not make more than one step and stopped at a safe distance from the stranger. His eyes turned to me, and it struck me how vividly green they were.

Lord Halvard smiled at me and came forward. He put one knee down and gently took my hand in his.

'Princess Irena, I am delighted to meet you,' he said, in the same kind and warm voice.