Chapter 10

Damian descended on the terrace outside of my chamber and put me down gently. His gaze searched mine with concern because I was shivering again, and because I was still clinging on to him with stiff fingers.
‘Are you quite well?’ he asked me, his hand lifting my face up for inspection.
I nodded grimly, not at all well.
‘I hope Johanna thought to leave the door unlocked,’ I murmured, teeth chattering.
Damian tried the door and it swung open instantly.
‘She did. It appears you have a wise and faithful servant,’ he grinned.
‘I know. I also hope she and the others are safe,’ I whispered, stepping inside fearfully.
Damian followed closely and shut the door to the balcony very quietly. My bedchamber appeared to have been readied for my welcome. It was warm and pleasant, the fire burning brightly, and fresh breakfast had been set upon the table. The thought of what awaited us in the hall of thrones however was enough to make me forgo all appetite.
‘You should eat,’ Damian said, still scrutinizing me.
‘I’m not hungry.’
‘All the same, you need to eat. Who knows what—‘
‘No, don’t even say it,’ I jumped. ‘We’ll face it, whatever it is, whatever happens.’
Damian took me in his arms and gazed at me lovingly.
‘I know we will, my sweet. That is why I want you strong and sure of yourself. Will you have a glass of wine at least?’
To put words into action, Damian walked to the table and filled a glass with red wine to the brim.
‘Come and drink.’
I obeyed and drank a few mouthfuls, immediately feeling the warmth seeping in. Damian smiled kindly.
‘There. Better, isn’t it? Have some more.’
I looked up at him bewildered.
‘Damian, are you so determined to render me inebriated and lock me up here?’
He chuckled, an evident look of mischief upon his features.
‘I admit, the thought did cross my mind. But I wouldn’t resort to wine to render you inebriated.’
He winked his green eye and kissed me softly on the lips. Instantly, I felt light-headed and very brave. I opened my eyes and tried to focus them on his green ones.
‘You are more than just immortal, aren’t you?’ I said, utterly amazed by his power.
Damian laughed openly, combing his fingers through the unruly strands of my hair.
‘I have certain abilities,’ he admitted. ‘They come with age.’
‘Well, now it’s time to put them to good use,’ I chuckled, lifting an ironic brow. ‘Only not on me.’
His expression became wary and he heaved a great sigh, as if the weight of the world hung onto his shoulders. In a sense, it did.
‘I can feel her downstairs,’ he whispered, his eyes wide and very green. ‘I can sense her excitement. She knows we are here.’
I gasped, my heart immediately starting to race wildly.
‘There’s no time to waste then,’ I murmured, trying to swallow back my fears. ‘We have to warn everyone, evacuate the castle.’
‘Yes.’
Damian moved to the southern windows that looked to the inner courtyard where the garrison was. I followed him quickly and saw no one there, not a sign of movement.
‘How odd. Where are all the guards? You don’t suppose she—‘
I could not finish the sentence. Damian’s frown deepened and he took me in his arms, holding me tightly.
‘Let us pray not, my love.’
In truth, the silence that pervaded the entire castle was unnerving. What could have happened? Had Alzbeta killed everyone? The very thought made me nauseous, and a knot of pain and guilt balled in the pit of my stomach.
I drew myself back for a fraction to look at him.
‘Damian, what if—what if it’s too late? What if we came back too late?’
He shook his head quickly and his arms tightened their hold around me.
‘No, they’re alive. I can hear heartbeats, hushed voices. They’re in hiding.’
My hand secure in his, he pulled me to the door and opened it enough to be able to look down the corridor. I could neither see nor hear anything, but he obviously did.
‘They were warned,’ he whispered. ‘Someone warned them in time.’
‘Oh, thank goodness!’ I sighed relieved. ‘Wait. Didn’t the raven show you dead bodies in the great hall?’
Damian glanced back at me, his features grim.
‘Not everyone made it, Irena.’
The ball of nerves grew back with even greater weight.
‘So where are the survivors? Where are they hiding?’
He looked up.
‘Many are in the attic, most of the voices come from there. The rest are down in the cellars. I hope they had the sense to bolt the doors from the inside.’
Very quietly, we stepped out on the deserted corridor.
‘Should I go and guide them out?’ I ventured, reluctant to leave him.
Damian remained very still and quiet for a moment.
‘No, they are safer there. If we draw them out, we risk mayhem. Our first priority is to avoid more losses. Come, Irena.’
We walked in silence to the end of the corridor and looked down over the stone banister. We could not see much from here, but it was as quiet as ever. Glancing at each other, we understood each other and began slowly descending the marble staircase.
My heart was hammering in my chest and my fingers were trembling in Damian’s hold. He squeezed my hand gently and smiled.
We stopped when we reached the bottom of the stairs. Before us, the doors to the hall of thrones appeared large and sumptuous, their beautiful intricate carving hiding the horrors on the other side.
‘Irena, please hear me,’ Damian said quietly, no longer bothering to whisper. ‘When these doors open, you are to remain as close to them as possible. You will not follow me inside. If at any moment I tell you to run, you run. Do you understand?’
I nodded, swallowing thickly.
‘I will not let her touch you,’ he went on in the same urgent manner, ‘but if I do fall, you will not stay here a moment longer. Am I being quite clear, Irena? Under no circumstance are you to linger in case I—‘
‘Yes, I understand perfectly, Damian,’ I cut him quickly, unable to hear him say the word. ‘Besides, you are immortal, aren’t you? Nothing can ever harm you.’
He tilted my chin upward and pierced me with his gaze.
‘There are worse fates than death. Being parted from you is what I fear the most.’
His voice shook and he pulled me to his chest, burying his face in my hair.
‘My beautiful Irena,’ he whispered, his fingers stroking my cheeks, wiping the tears that had started to fall. ‘My brave and beautiful Queen. I love you.’
‘I love you more than my own life, Damian,’ I managed softly, lifting up my face, waiting for his kiss.
When it came, it was more than a declaration of love, it was a commitment of our hearts across time and space. We both put all of ourselves in that kiss, all our fears, all our dreams and hopes for the future, all of our blood and tears. Our tongues swirled around one another shamelessly, our teeth clanking together, our lips tasting and sipping hungrily.
Feeling myself on fire and being the brave Queen that he had made me into, I licked the tip of his canines, knowing they would immediately elongate. Damian broke the kiss abruptly, his eyes wide, his breathing hard. We stared at each other for a moment and he understood. There was no need for words, no need to ask permission for what I was freely giving.
He resumed the kiss, his lips at first probing mine open, his tongue licking the inside of my lower lip. Then, his teeth sank in with a faint popping sound and I jumped at the slight sting. It did not last. Instead, a wave of heat invaded my mouth with the flowing blood. It coursed from there all the way down to the very core of me, where it lit up a raging blaze. Soon, it was not my own blood I was tasting, but his as well: it was sweeter, spice-scented, and with it, a series of visions opened before my eyes.
Damian was a child, a beautiful boy with long hair braided in the old Viking fashion. He was running around a large courtyard with more boys of the same age. They were laughing and yelling, sporting wooden swords and axes. The vision changed and he was a young adolescent, riding a beautiful dark horse. Then, he was crowned king and crowds around him cheered his name. When the images changed again, he was in a dark room, surrounded by fanged creatures with red eyes and sharp claws. He fought them hard and slew all except one. The monster offered him his blood and Damian drank long and deep.
‘No more,’ he breathed, breaking the kiss and breaking the connection. ‘You’ve seen enough.’
My eyes swam with tears for the suffering he had endured and I knew I had merely seen glimpses of it.
‘That was how it happened, wasn’t it?’ I murmured, wiping my lips. ‘That last one did it?’
Damian did not answer, but gazed hollowly at the images that were still roaming before his eyes.
‘Magnus. He was an ancient one,’ he spoke quietly. ‘He offered me a means for revenge, and I took it.’
‘Revenge against your brothers?’
‘No more, please, Irena,’ he gushed, closing his eyes, forcing the red away from them. ‘There is no time for that now. We have a duty. I will open those doors and you will guide whoever lives in there out of the castle. You will not return until I let you know it’s safe.’
‘How will I know?’ I asked faintly, intimidated by his brusque manner.
‘You will know,’ he pressed.
Then, realising my apprehension, his expression softened once more. His eyes twinkled and he cupped my face, smiling affectionately.
‘We have just drunk each other’s blood, my love,’ he whispered. ‘We are connected in more ways than one. You will always feel me and I will always feel you.’
I smiled feebly, not really reassured. Then suddenly, it dawned on me.
‘You said whoever lives in there? Is there someone still alive?’
‘I hear a faint heartbeat,’ Damian murmured, staring at the doors intently. ‘I can only think of one person she would keep alive long enough.’
I nodded, comprehending. How did I not see it before?
‘Jan.’
At the name, the doors to the hall of thrones swung open by themselves, revealing what we had always feared.

*
The marble-tiled floor was glistening red, the walls and tapestries were scattered with blood. Bile came up to my mouth and I fought hard the urge to vomit. Usurper that she was, Alzbeta was sitting on the throne of my fathers, a large pile of human bodies at her feet. Not just human bodies. There were also mangled body parts everywhere, torn limbs and broken bones. And all had belonged to people whom I had known, men and women whose names and families I was acquainted with personally, members of the helping staff, guards, lords and ladies of the court.
With a sinking feeling, I quickly recognised Hannah the cook among the dead, her ever-genial features frozen forever in an ashen mask of horror, her silver-haired head partly severed from the body. Beside her, I also recognized Lady Ludmilla Tomas, one of my ladies in waiting, and her husband Lord Tomas, keeper of games and keys at Karlstejn. On the other side of the pile, Captain Jakuv of the night watch also lay dead, sword still in his hand that had been torn right from the elbow.
As if all this was not enough, perhaps the most terrifying sight was that of Jan Turek himself, laying down directly at Alzbeta’s feet. His long fair hair undone, his lean upper body completely naked, he had been bound by the neck in iron chains like an animal. The other end of the chain was in her hand and she was playing with it lazily. I could not repress a gasp of fright to see Jan’s many wounds: his chest and arms were scattered with purple-red punctures and gashes from Alzbeta’s vampire teeth. She had marked almost every inch of his skin, and there were deep, long red claw-like scratches on his neck and torso as well.
Instinctively, I made to run to him, but Damian’s hand stopped me.
‘Stay here, Irena, don’t move.’
Without blinking, Alzbeta’s red eyes set at first on the both of us, then exclusively on Damian, and she grinned widely. Bright red locks that coiled like snakes to her waist, her white face more beautiful than I had ever imagined and her posture proud and fearless, my step mother appeared to thoroughly relish her new nature. Still holding on to the chain, she stood up to her feet to welcome us, her velvet green gown soaked with blood at the hem.
Tears of heartache and fury blinded me and, despite Damian’s stern command, I stepped forward, my whole body trembling.
‘What have you done, you witch? Killing my father was never enough for you—killing all my family? Having men kidnap and torture me—attempt rape—all this was never enough, was it?’
Alzbeta’s eyes flashed back to me and her grin was as malicious as ever.
‘No, never enough, Irena, and you are a fool to come back here. I took you for an obedient student. Hasn’t you tutor—or lover, was it?--explained the danger to you?’
I wanted to reply, but Damian was faster. He placed himself a step in front of me, his shoulders squared, his entire tall frame tensed.
‘Alzbeta. You’ve caused enough harm. There will be no more killing here today. Please stand down.’
He spoke calmly, but his voice was steady and clear, reverberating lowly as if from the walls themselves. Alzbeta did not show herself intimidated. She chuckled amused at Damian’s words and began descending the few steps of the dais upon which stood the royal throne. When the chain in her hand tensed, she pulled on it abruptly and Jan was hurtled down the steps, rolling to a halt beside the pile of corpses. Alzbeta kicked him hard in the ribs and he gave a grunt of pain, his eyes fluttering open.
‘Wake up, you wretched dog. Your friends have come to save you,’ Alzbeta cackled.
Trembling violently, Jan tried to lift himself on his hands and knees, but she kept kicking him relentlessly and he fell face down again.
‘Didn’t you hear me, mutt? Get up!’ she laughed as if mad, the tip of her elegant boot leaving new purple bruises on Jan’s skin.
‘Stop it! Stop hitting him!’ I shrilled.
Unable to take it anymore, I escaped Damian’s hold and sprinted across the hall.
‘Irena!’
Ignoring Damian, I ran and tripped on something soft and human, but I did not look behind to see what it was. I circled the bodies and reached Jan, placing myself between Alzbeta and him. She stared at me genuinely surprised, her foot hanging in the air, the heel right above Jan’s right eye. I realised she was waiting for my reaction and that Jan’s life was actually depending on it.
I felt the air stir and suddenly, Damian stood on Alzbeta’s other side, his features hard, his frame as tensed as that of a stalking feline. I gazed at him meaningfully, trying to convey to him to do nothing that would cause a trigger. He nodded almost imperceptivity, understanding.
Very slowly, I raised my palms defensively and forced myself to speak calmly.
‘Alzbeta, please. Don’t hurt him.’
Her grin widening enough to show her pointed teeth, the Queen pressed her foot on Jan’s cheekbone, causing him to moan in pain once again.
‘Why shouldn’t I hurt him, Irena?’ she simpered falsely. ‘I thought you had no interest whatsoever. Indeed, I was under the impression the very idea of marrying Jan Turek was abhorrent to you. Didn’t you say to me only yesterday I could have him?’
I swallowed thickly, my mind blank to how I could stall for more time.
‘Yes, it’s true, Alzbeta, I did say so, and I still stand by my words. Our law says you may remarry at the end of one year of mourning. There’s absolutely nothing stopping you to—‘
My words were drowned in the mad cacophony of her laughter.
‘Are you blind as you are stupid?’ she chortled. ‘Do you not see me? Do you not realise the kind of power that I have?’
‘Yes, I realise and believe me, I do appreciate the magnitude of the change you have undergone, Alzbeta,’ I said quickly. ‘But why should innocent people suffer for it? Why must you kill to demonstrate your greatness?’
‘Irena speaks the truth,’ Damian intervened quietly, stepping a little closer to her. ‘You are no longer a simple mortal woman. You have powers that are great indeed, but you are also new to them, inexperienced. You must train and you must learn.’
‘Oh? And I suppose you offer to be my tutor now?’ she scoffed, glaring at him.
A claw of panic seized me, because I knew exactly what he was about to say.
‘Yes,’ he murmured, his eyes never leaving hers. ‘I offer myself to teach you and guide you down this new path, Alzbeta. It is, after all, my responsibility.’
No, Damian. No. Don’t leave me!
I swallowed the silent cry in my heart, nurturing the tiniest wish it was all still a ruse.
‘I believe you, Damian,’ Alzbeta said softly, her attitude dramatically changing. ‘The mirror said you would join me. I didn’t dream it would come true, but it did.’
Her evil grin became an enchanting smile and her foot stepped down, releasing Jan of the pressure.
‘You know what this means, Damian?’ she went on, her eyes shining enthusiastically. ‘We are unstoppable. You and I, we may rule this country. We may even extend our reign! Who would stop us?’
I could not believe her abrupt change of heart. It had been enough for Damian to promise to help and the venom on her tongue had turned to honey.
So it had been him all along. She had always wanted him.
‘Release Lord Turek, Alzbeta,’ he went on in the same calm, but authoritative voice. ‘He is of no use to you.’
‘Quite so. Although, I must say, I have enjoyed the taste of his blood the most,’ she chuckled and let go of the chain.
It fell at my feet with loud clatter and a small copper key followed it. Losing no time, I grabbed the key and fumbled with the rusty lock that held a heavy ring tightly wound around Jan’s neck. Finally, the key clicked and the ring sprang open. Carefully, I pulled the ring away from Jan, my hands shaking at the sight of more puncture wounds on his neck. She had almost drained him of his very life.
When he was free, I threw the chain and ring away and circled his slim waist, trying to pull him up to his feet.
‘Jan, Jan!’ You have to get up—I can’t lift you. Help me!’
Trembling, he managed to raise himself on shaky legs, leaning his whole weight on me.
‘Mi-mirror,’ he rasped, lifting a finger to point in a vague direction.
I turned my head and saw Alzbeta’s enchanted mirror set against the left side of the throne.
‘Hers?’ I whispered.
‘It’s evil—sucks the life—mu-must b-break it—‘
‘Hush! We have to get out of here.’
Jan simply closed his eyes, his head lolling down. I looked in panic at Damian standing on the other side of the corpse pile. He was facing Alzbeta and was listening to her raving fantasies of world conquest and domination. Sensing me, his eyes flashed to me, then to the door, conveying to me that I had to hurry and get myself and Jan out as quickly as possible.
In the same way, I threw a glance at the mirror, then back to him, to let him know of the danger. But he was already warned, I could feel it. I could feel his tension and apprehension as if they were my own.
Apparently, so could Alzbeta. It made sense, she was his creation, really.
‘Leaving so soon, Irena?’ she drawled, standing up to her full height and climbing on to the dais once more.
Feeling responsible for Jan’s safety, I managed to settle him down against one of the marble columns and turned to face her.
‘I wish to get Jan out of here, he’s been through enough,’ I said dryly. ‘If there are matters you still wish to discuss with me, I will of course be at your disposal.’
‘Ah, so at last, I have you at my disposal!’ she scoffed, rolling her eyes.
‘Alzbeta, we agreed to this,’ Damian spoke steadily, putting one foot on the first step of the dais. ‘Irena and Jan Turek may go free.’
She turned to him and smiled sweetly.
‘No, darling, you agreed to this. I never offered anything.’
I could hear Damian’s teeth gnashing from across the hall.
‘Alzbeta, please,’ he muttered. ‘Cease this violence. Becoming a monster is the easiest path, but I forgo it. If you wish to walk with me, you must do the same.’
She was watching him carefully, her expression pensive, unreadable. Then, her eyes flew back to me and I could literally feel the arrows in them.
Suddenly, there was pain. So much pain. Pain everywhere. I let out a loud scream and fell down to my knees, gripping my torso with both hands. My lungs burned, my bowls twisted, my head was ready to explode.
‘No! Release her!’ Damian cried.
‘Why should I?’ she laughed, and the pain I felt intensified. ‘You robbed me of my love, so I’m taking yours, Damian.’
‘You lost your child because of your own stupidity, Alzbeta!’ he screamed, crossing the hall over to me with lightning speed. ‘Irena is innocent—stop torturing her!’
I felt him kneeling beside me, his arms holding me to him protectively. Instantly, the pain stopped. He took my face in his hands and his eyes were burning with pity and silent rage.
‘Are you all right?’ he breathed, scrutinising me quickly for any signs of open wounds.
‘I’m f-fine,’ I managed, wiping the tears. ‘Damian, don’t linger. It’s that mirror—you have to break it.’
He glanced behind and nodded.
‘I know, it’s the main source of her powers. But I’m not sure breaking it would be the wisest thing,’ he whispered.
His eyes returned to me, releasing their full emerald force upon me. ‘Irena, you promised me. You will not stay here another minute. Take Jan and leave the castle.’
‘Will I ever see you again?’ I whimpered.
‘Yes.’
The one word contained all the certainty I needed. Damian kissed me softly and offered me his hand as support. I stood up and leant against his chest to draw as much strength from him as possible in our last moments together.
‘How very touching!’ Alzbeta mocked from atop the dais. ‘Jan, you are missing quite an inspiring display of affection. Take note, or you will never rise to the challenge.’
I had not seen him gather himself off the floor, but Jan stood on my other side now, his tall figure slightly crooked inwardly with the torture he had endured, his gaunt features hard and determined. Damian was holding my right hand and Jan put his on my left shoulder. The three of us stood united against the witch, utterly at her mercy, expecting the worst.
At first, she appeared quite astonished to see us thus, but she recovered quickly.
‘You have graciously offered to guide me on my new path, Damian,’ she said, her tone full of warning. ‘Now, stand by your word and stand by my side here.’
‘I will, Alzbeta. As soon as Irena and Jan go free,’ he answered loudly and clearly.
‘Alas, I cannot acquiesce to your proposition,’ she simpered falsely. ‘You see, if I do, there will be no one left to bear witness to our reborn greatness.’
Damian chuckled sadly.
‘You still don’t understand, do you? There is no greatness, Alzbeta, no grand destiny. Only blood and death.’
‘Ah, but there you are in error, Damian. For all your vast experience and your many years, I believe you have never joined with the one mate truly destined for you.’
Damian burst into loud laughter, genuinely amused.
‘And I suppose you consider yourself that perfect mate?’
‘Our union was fated by the gods,’ she declared emphatically. ‘It is the only thing that would make sense.’
‘I’m afraid there can be no question of a union between you and I, Alzbeta,’ Damian spoke quietly. ‘I pledged myself to guide you and teach you, nothing more.’
‘And I’m afraid I cannot accept that, my Lord Halvard. It is all or nothing.’
She was grinning triumphantly, her red eyes flickering from Damian, to me, to Jan in turn.
‘Oh, I do understand your heartfelt qualms, Damian, but that spoiled little brat was never meant for you,’ Alzbeta reprised with great satisfaction. ‘My mirror showed me: she and good Jan here were made for one another. You were always no more than a mere accident in her limited existence.’
Panic overtook me and I squeezed Damian’s fingers tightly. He turned to me and smiled affectionately.
‘Don’t listen to her, my love. You and I know the truth,’ he whispered.
On my left, I felt Jan stiffen.
‘Yes, that’s right, dearest Jan,’ Alzbeta scoffed. ‘You have a right to be jealous now, don’t you?’
‘I cannot feel anything anymore, Alzbeta, least of all jealousy,’ Jan murmured faintly. ‘You have taken everything from me, my blood and my heart.’
She burst into wild laughter.
‘Oh, the drama!’ she cackled. ‘Poor, poor Jan. But never fear, your heart is safe from me and your blood will soon renew itself. Just drink a glass of wine to my name and all will be well.’
‘You are murderer and an usurper. You are unworthy to be named ever again between these walls, Alzbeta,’ Jan muttered, and spat down with gusto.
At the gesture, Alzbeta’s smile turned into a grimace of disgust and her features became ugly with hate.
‘That was a mistake.’
In the next moment, her hair standing on ends, Alzbeta raised her arms and sudden cold winds blew open the narrow stained-glass windows of the hall.
‘Alzbeta, what are you doing?’ Damian warned, his posture poised to attack.
‘What I should have done from the very beginning, Damian,’ she muttered through gritted teeth.
The winds intensified, whipping our hair and clothes in all directions. In the next moment, I saw the mirror quiver on the spot, rise with the winds, and land safely in Alzbeta’s outstretched hands. She lifted it high above her head, her eyes mad, her mouth grinning wide.
In a flash, Damian posted himself in front of me.
‘She’s going to break it. Protect Irena with your life!’ he shouted above the roaring winds.
Immediately, I felt Jan’s arms around me and my vision was obscured by his wide, wound-strewn chest. An ominous feeling of foreboding seized me. Damian was in terrible danger, I knew it.
‘No!’ I cried, fighting to escape Jan’s hold. ‘No, Damian!’
Weak with blood loss, Jan’s grip on me gave way and I swerved around him. He caught me by the hand and I felt him trembling to hold on to me.
Just then, I saw Alzbeta throw the large oval mirror to the floor; it fell and smashed with great noise into millions of pieces that flew and scattered everywhere.
‘Look out!’ Damian shouted.
He put himself in front of Jan and me, as Alzbeta’s winds were sending the tiny slivers of mirror in a whirl, like so many sparkling needles. With great effort, Jan pulled me back to him and pushed me down to the floor, shielding me.
Under the rain of slivers, I expected to see him buckle in pain, but he did not even flinch. Then, I realised why. Damian was our shield.
His arms outstretched like wings, he stood before us, protecting us, his strong vampire body taking the hit, receiving Alzbeta’s pointy shards. I heard him wince in pain only once, and soon after that, the winds relented, the slivers of mirror falling all down on the floor with rain-like patter.
A ringing sort of silence followed.
‘I think it’s over,’ Jan whispered.
He shifted around me to glance behind and stood up to his feet, pulling me with him.
Beside the throne, Alzbeta stood tall and victorious, her eyes fixed on Damian, waiting for his reaction no doubt. I moved to him and touched his shoulder. In the next moment, Damian gave a low moan and let himself fall to the floor, his body shivering.
‘Damian!’ I cried, kneeling beside him in panic.
Eyes shut tight in pain, he turned his face from me, pushing me away with his hand.
‘Go, Irena. Get out of here,’ he rasped through gritted teeth.
‘No, I’m not leaving you!’
‘Yes, you are.’
Only then did he look up at me, and what I saw made me gasp in fright. His beautiful face skewed up in pain, Damian’s left eye had turned entirely black, from the iris to the white. It was a hole of darkness and, in the middle, where the pupil should have been, there was now a narrow shard of mirror, stung deep.
‘Damian, what is it?’ I tried, steadying myself. ‘Does it hurt? Let me see if I can pull it out—‘
‘Just leave me alone!’ he shouted, standing up to his feet abruptly and making me lose balance.
Jan rushed to help me up and I let him, entirely confused and deeply hurt. Seeing me at a loss for words and action, he stepped towards Damian cautiously.
‘My Lord Halvard, let us help you,’ Jan said patiently. ‘Perhaps we can pluck the shard of mirror out of your eye.’
‘You will not touch me!’ Damian growled, baring his teeth.
Fearing an attack, I rushed to him and bravely took his face in my hands, searching his altered looks.
‘Damian, my love, please, just tell me how I can help you. Tell me what I can do,’ I  whispered anxiously, caressing his face.
Damian glared at me with such hatred, I could not believe it. His right eye had remained green, but there was no light in it, no gentle feeling whatsoever. No love.
‘What you can do, Irena, is to leave me the hell alone,’ he muttered maliciously.
I felt numb as if he had struck me. My hands slid down helplessly, but I kept searching his gaze, trying to find him again. As I watched, the sliver of mirror was sucked up entirely by his black eye. Instantly, the eye returned to its normal white and green, but the colour was dull and lifeless.
‘Damian,’ Alzbeta called from the other side of the hall. ‘Damian, my love, come to me!’
He looked up to her as if transfixed, in utter adoration.
‘Yes, my love, I’m coming!’ he answered and made to run to her.
I held him still, tears in my eyes.
‘No, Damian!’ I murmured urgently. ‘Please. Please, don’t do this, don’t go to her.’
His fangs grew long and sharp, as sharp as the mirror slivers on the floor.
‘Irena, I do not wish to hurt you,’ he muttered through gritted teeth. ‘But if you don’t step back, by the gods, I will!’
I knew what he had said, I knew I should really believe him and back off, but I was so shocked, I could not move a muscle.
‘Turek, take your bride off me, and be sure to teach her the sense of propriety,’ Damian growled, his canines glinting menacingly.
Jan came to me and put his arm around my shoulder.
‘Come, Irena,’ he said gently, pulling me to one side. ‘Leave him be.’
‘This isn’t him,’ I said in a hollow voice. ‘She has bewitched him. She broke the mirror on purpose and infected him with her black magic. This isn’t Damian.’
‘Very good, Irena, that is quite astute of you,’ Alzbeta chuckled mockingly from the dais. ‘No, this is no longer your Damian, as I’m sure you realise he never was. He is now mine.’
She reached out her hands in an affectionate gesture and smiled brightly.
‘Come here, my love,’ she crooned. ‘Come into my arms.’
Damian sprang across the hall with his uncanny ability and, in the next moment, he was in her arms. They embraced like lovers and kissed passionately.
I turned away from the sight, heartbroken and nauseated. Jan took me in his arms, once more shielding me from the view.
‘Don’t look, Irena,’ he murmured in my hair. ‘Leave them be. They deserve each other. They are not worthy of your tears.’
Alzbeta laughed humorously at his words. I glanced back and saw the two of them standing side by side, both tall and handsome, so fitted for one another.
‘What say you, my love,’ she turned to Damian, ‘shall we reign together?’
‘We shall,’ Damian answered emotionlessly, his gaze empty. ‘But not here. I’m tired of this small, meaningless realm. I wish to own my own kingdom, a great and fearsome reign.’
Alzbeta’s features seemed to light up as if from within.
‘And so you shall, my love,’ she answered enthusiastically. ‘We shall leave this small, depressing little place. It is no longer suited for us.’
Jan stepped forward, his eyes deeply set, his jaw squared.
‘Yes, hurry and leave this Christian land, you demon,’ he muttered spitefully. ‘And take you puppet with you. May you never step foot in Bohemia ever again!’
‘Oh, I can’t promise you that, my dear Jan,’ she laughed. ‘We will return whenever we wish it. Won’t that be a nice surprise!’
Then, as if of one mind, Damian and Alzbeta sprang together high across the hall and landed effortlessly in the doorway. They gazed at us simple mortals with proud, aloof expressions. From outside, the midday sun entered the hall of thrones through the high windows, bathing the two vampires in otherworldly light, bringing into sharp perspective the death and carnage they were leaving behind.
‘Well, Irena, it appears you get your wish and your coveted birth right,’ Alzbeta declared pleasantly, not a trace of malice in her voice. ‘We will leave you reign in peace, the best you can. You are all grown up now, so I do believe you will manage without us. In any case, you have good Jan here to guide you.’
‘Yes, she does have me,’ Jan growled, his hand squeezing my shoulder, his voice ever stronger. ‘And I shall never abandon her.’
I should have been grateful for such overt demonstration of loyalty, but I simply could not bring myself to show it. Instead, I gathered my soul back from the messy pile of shards it had been broken into and inhaled deeply.
‘Yes, Alzbeta, I can manage without you. Go in peace.’
‘Say fare well to your tutor, child, it is the last time you see him.’
I gulped thickly, ignoring the bleeding in my heart.
‘Fare well, Lord Halvard. Thank you for your teaching and dedication.’
‘Fare well, Princess,’ Damian answered indifferently, his gaze somewhere above my shoulder.
Then, in a breath of wind, they were gone. Mirror shards scattered everywhere, Jan and I remained alone in the blood-and-corpse covered hall of thrones, our hearts broken, our lives disrupted and interrupted. It would be a long time before we would be healed and whole again.