Rejecting Gilbert Blythe

October 2011

"It meant nothing."

"Yeah," Marcy says, "it meant nothing. Yes, I completely see it that way. And so does Ben."

"Marcy!" Ridley blows out an exasperated sigh. "We kissed, yes - and it was a bad, bad idea...but can't friends...experiment, once in a while?"

"Experiment?" Marcy laughs. "Experiment? Ridley, I walked in and you two were devouring each other. I'd hardly call that experimenting. More like...second base."

"Second base?" Ridley forces out an unconvincing laugh. "Marcy we were both crying and emotionally...unstable. We were a mess, okay? And, you know...shit happens when emotions are involved."

"Okay." Marcy nods and gets up. She takes hold of Ridley's hand and she squeezes it. In that moment, Ridley realizes just how old Marcy looks right now - not grandparent old, but...mature old. She's no longer teenage Marcy sneaking into houses to smuggle food from the neighbours' kitchens for Ridley when they were both starving. She's no longer ten year old Marcy who had scabby knees and a bruised eye when she was defending Ridley from her bullies. She's grown up Marcy now. Graceful, even more beautiful, motherly.

"I just..." Marcy sighs, "I just hope feelings aren't getting hurt, here, Rids."

"Feelings?" Ridley frowns. "There's no feelings involved." She bites her lip, and shrugs unsurely. "At least...I don't think there is."

Marcy tilts her head slightly and observes Ridley, a small smile forming on her lips. No longer is she the frizzy haired, slightly bug-eyed little girl who lost her temper at the slightest words anyone said about her hair. She's...she's a woman now, Marcy thinks. A beautiful, intelligent woman who needs to sort out her priorities...on her own. Marcy knows she can't always be there for Ridley, solving every problem and punching every bully out of the way. One day they'll come to a crossroads...and she needs to prepare Ridley for that day.

"Give yourself some time," Marcy says. "I'm sure you'll figure it out soon."

"Figure what-" Ridley stops talking as her eyes quickly land on the person who has entered the café. Ben stands there awkwardly for one brief moment, unsure of what he is doing, before he clears his throat and says, "Sorry...am I interrupting something?"

Marcy chuckles. "No worries, Ben," she says. "I was leaving anyway." She lets go of Ridley's hand and nods. "Figure it out," she repeats before heading straight for the door that leads her out of the café. Once she's gone, Ridley stands up, ignoring any eye contact with Ben whatsoever.

"Right," she says in a voice one might expect a five year old to have, "I'll start...mopping up the floors and you can...you can look out for any customers."

"Rids-"

"Have you realised that none of the other employees actually show up on time?" Ridley chuckles as she hastily gets a mop and a bucket and starts to vigorously wipe the floor. "I mean," she sighs, "why is it that we're the only ones who are ever here? Strange right? And the cooks are always in the kitchen, just smoking. They don't even speak to us. Come to think of it, they don't even speak English."

"Ridley?"

"Mhm?" She doesn't even look up.

"We need to talk."

"Talk?" Ridley laughs. "About how we work our butts off to keep a bankrupt café clean? Hm, Aroma's okay and all, but it's got a really low pay. I was thinking we should probably start considering a better job. I heard there's a vacancy in-"