Mourning Gilbert Blythe

September 2013

Email from: ridsdenvers

Email to: benjaminb

Sent on: 02/09/13 at 19:42 PM

Ben okay wow, this is extremely late and I know you hate me right now. Please, before you roll your eyes and hit the 'delete' button on this message - hear me out.

I didn't come that day because something came up. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable telling you what it was about but it was really, really bad and I just forgot all about our meet-up. I didn't answer any of your messages or calls because my phone had been turned off the rest of the day after that. I only turned my phone on when it was too late and I'm sorry I completely forgot you were flying back to Canada that day. I wanted to see you, Ben, more than anyone else in the world but circumstances wouldn't allow it at the time. I've tried calling you again but you wouldn't pick up and I just came back to campus yesterday.

I want to tell you more on the phone if you could please forgive me?

Please.

Rid

-------------------------------------------

Email from: benjaminb

Email to: ridsdenvers

Received on: 2/09/13 at 20:08 PM

'Something came up'. Hm, seems a legitimate enough an excuse.

Oh yes, I completely forgive you for making me feel like I'm your little toy that you can just pick up and play with but throw away when you're bored of it whenever you please. I completely forgive you for everything you've done to me this past year - especially this summer, what with your little 'confession' and all. Thanks a lot. I mean, I really needed it! Truly! Thank you!

Thank you for breaking my heart.

-------------------------------------------

"So," Ridley says with a raised eyebrow, "can you tell me why exactly you and Christopher are hell bent on ignoring each other?"

Dee continues to brush her tangled mess of a hair while carefully avoiding Ridley's gaze. "He was being very rude," she replies after a momentary silence between the two friends. "I wouldn't stand for it and we had an argument. And no, Ridley, don't try and convince me to make up with him. He started it. As per usual."

Ridley chuckles and flops down on her tiny little bed. Their new room - in Dee's uncle's house-is significantly smaller than their old room provided by the campus, but its cleaner and the strangely old smell and the dark, vintage wallpaper reminds Ridley of Victorian-era mansions. She quite likes it here. Also, they don't have to cook for themselves anymore because Dee's aunt is a chef, and simply insists that she provide them with a proper dinner - one that doesn't involve a disgusting mash up of yesterday's leftovers and unhealthy takeout food.

"What was it about?" Ridley presses on as a grin begins to form on her face. She already has an inkling as to what the fight was about but she wants to hear it from Dee, just so she can tease her about it mercilessly. Dee, noticing Ridley's expression, rolls her eyes.

"Don't be cheeky with me, Ridley Denvers." She pokes her tongue out at her. "Instead of interviewing me about irrelevant matters, shouldn't you be working on actually doing some work?"

Ridley sighs and takes a sidelong glance at the stack of books and scraps of paper messily piled on top of each other on top of her study desk next to her bed. Just a day back at campus and she's already being hounded by homework essays, notes to look over for the next day and books to read by the end of the week. She groans lazily.