Avoiding Gilbert Blythe

December 2013

"Marce, hey, how are you?" Ridley greets her sister warmly over the phone. " You haven't really been picking up a lot of my calls these days. Are you doing overtime at work or something?"

"Well, I have been busy." Marcy sighs. "I managed to finally sell the house off, though it didn't really fetch me a good price anyway. It's so like that man to have just left it to us in his will. So selfish. He couldn't have given the damn house away to our aunt, could he? Of course not. He wanted us to bear the burden. Just to spite us."

"Now Marce," Ridley says kindly, "you know he didn't really do it out of spite. He was just trying to...trying to make amends with us. In his own way. I've forgiven him, Marcy, and maybe you should too."

"We have had this conversation before, Ridley. I don't want to repeat it again."

The hardness in Marcy's voice buries the matter completely.

"I'm sorry I can't make it for Christmas this year," Ridley says finally after a rather lengthy pause between them. "And you've been so busy sorting everything out anyway so I'd be a bother –"

"Oh, do shut up, Ridley. You're my sister. Family members don't bother each other." Another pause. "Besides," Marcy says and there is a small, hesitant edge to her voice that makes Ridley feel worried, "I have plans this Christmas anyway."

"Wait what?" Ridley nearly falls out of the chair she has been sitting on. "Plans? Marcy...are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"I have absolutely no idea what you mean, Ridley."

"No!" Ridley shouts as excitement begins to bubble inside of her. "No, Marcella Denvers you are not going to play coy with me. Marcy...oh my lord -- Marcy are you finally seeing someone?"

"Now where in the world did you get that—"

"Who is he?" Ridley interrupts very demandingly. "How old is he? Does he look like Leonardo Dicaprio? Where and how did you guys even meet? And—And when did you start going out? Details, my girl, details!"

"Alright, alright, boss!" Marcy lets out a very embarrassed laugh. "We met a few weeks ago. He's a new waiter at the restaurant where I work. And I accidentally spilled cold tomato soup all over him the first time we met and well...apparently, that's what really reeled him in. Or so he says." Ridley grins at how warmly Marcy talks about him. He sounds really special to her, unlike the men she used to see in the past.

"And his name?"

"Jesus Christ, Ridley, when did you get so demanding?" Marcy giggles. "His name is...erm..." She giggles again and Ridley's jaw drops. Marcella Denvers has got it bad for this man. "Elijah," Marcy finally mutters in a sort of soft whisper. She sounds like a twelve year old schoolgirl who has a secret crush on her cute Maths teacher.

"OOOOOOOOOH," Ridley coos in her best juvenile teenager voice. "Someone has a cruuuuuuush—"

"Well, we are seeing each other so it doesn't really even affect me when you—"

"You want to huuuuuuuuuug him."

"Really, you're really going to—"

"You want to kiiiiiiiiiiiiiis him."

"Dear lord."

"You want to make looooooooove to him."

"This is extremely disturbing to hear from your younger sister."