Denying Gilbert Blythe

September 2011 

'Dear Miss Ridley Denvers,

         Thank you for submitting your short story 'Nobody's Juliet' to be published in our latest issue of YOUmagazine but we regret to inform you we do not have a place for your story at the moment. However, please do not be discouraged by this. Keep writing!

Yours,

Judith Pemberly

Assistant Editor of YOUmagazine'  

"Ugh!" Ridley says, shoving the piece of paper away, "They didn't even bother giving me any constructive criticism.  Happy writing. Not after reading your letter I won't." 

Benjamin swipes the letter off the table and reads it with a frown on his face. It vanishes as his eyes land on the words 'Nobody's Juliet' and his lips tug slightly, but he bites them down, as if he is resisting the urge to smile. Ridley notices this and narrows her eyes at him.

"What?" she snaps, snatching the paper out of his hands. Ben shrugs.

 "What?" he replies semi-innocently. 

"Why're you laughing?" Ridley demands.

Ben can't help but let a little giggle escape. This infuriates Ridley and she immediately jumps up.

 "What's wrong with it?" she asks, her simmering eyes now looking more embarrassed than furious. "What is it, Ben? What's wrong?"  

Ben cracks up. "Nobody's Juliet?" he chokes. "With a title like that, it's no wonder they rejected it."  

Ridley's cheeks flush, and she can feel a distinct lump growing on her throat. Don't cry don't cry don't cry don't cry. Ben, clearly understanding he's upset her, suddenly puts a hand gently on Ridley's shoulder. "Hey," he says, and his eyes look apologetic. "I'm sorry okay? Look, I'll even stop calling you carrots for a week, as punishment." 

Ridley looks up and sighs. "You're right though," she says. "The title's rubbish. Cheesy. God, but I need some money right now. This story was my only chance. I need a living, Ben."

 "Hey, hey," Ben lifts Ridley's chin up so that she's looking directly in to his baby blue eyes. "You're only seventeen, sweetheart. And, besides, your job at Aroma's fine. It'll keep you guys going for a few years."  

"A few." Ridley's voice goes hard. "A few years isn't enough. I need a long-term support and—"

 "Ridley." Ben's voice is quite low now, and he puts his hand on her cheek. Ridley flinches, not used to such an affectionate touch from Ben, but she doesn't try to shake it off. She puts her hand over his, basking in the warmth of it, the comfort she feels from it. "Ridley, it's going to be okay," Ben continues. "Marcy's at that job interview today, isn't she? She'll get it, I'm sure she will and – you guys are going to be fine. And, if you aren't, I'm always here to help." 

Ridley knows he means it.

And right now, she wants to kiss him, hard on his mouth, and she doesn't even know why. They're only just a few inches apart, really. Just a miniscule movement and their lips would connect. But Ridley doesn't move. Neither does Ben. All they do is stare right back at each other, wanting, longing to do what they've wanted to do for months now. Ridley cannot deny it anymore. She...she – could it really be? No. But a single touch of his is electric – yes. She--

 "Am I interrupting something?"  

Ridley and Ben literally push each other away, causing both to stumble and nearly fall to the floor. Marcy Denvers stifles a huge urge to laugh. Ridley looks at her sister with flaming cheeks; as if she's just been caught doing the dirty deed with Ben – not that she would ever do the do with him...what she means is that –