Loving Gilbert Blythe

February 2013

Email to: benjaminb

Email from: ridsdenvers

Sent at: 12/02/13 at 18:35 PM

Subject: An Apology

Hi Ben,

I'm really sorry. I'm really sorry for everything, really. We've been fighting so, so much these days and I don't like that. I've finally accepted that things aren't going to the same between us, and we've changed, but that doesn't mean the change has to be bad, right? This isn't how we're supposed to deal with stuff. Fighting and swearing and just general unpleasantness. Mostly on my part, to be honest. I flew off the handle for no reason and that was completely uncalled for. I miss you and I didn't mean what I said - I don't want you to leave me. You already know what I'm like when I'm angry. (I mean, I slammed a book on your face barely five minutes into meeting you!)

So yeah. I've got to go now. Essays to finish! *sigh*

Love you,

Rids x

------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, Ridley, seeing anyone?" Christopher questions with a suggestive wiggle of his perfectly plucked eyebrows. Ridley smiles and shakes her head, chuckling at the very idea.

Relationships? No, she decides, she's kind of over it. Sawyer, although very insignificant to her current life, has left Ridley with a bitter aftertaste of what relationships really feel like. She's not sure she wants all of that anymore. She's nineteen years old and isn't getting any younger. There's no way she'll find her Gilbert Blythe, ever, and suddenly, the thought leaves her with a dull, lonely ache in her heart and she suddenly thinks of Ben again. Oh stop it, she scolds herself.

"You know, I really pegged you for a huge romantic," Christopher continues with a small twinkle in his pretty blue eyes. They aren't the same shade as Ben's-not that it is even relevant-but they still make Ridley feel quite at home in this big, intimidating new world they all call University.

"Really?" Ridley fakes a laugh. "What gave you that impression?"

"Oh, you being an English student and all." Christopher shrugs. "Yeah, I know, that's a bit of an annoying stereotype. But you're gorgeous! Why aren't you seeing anyone?"

"I..." Ridley shrugs, although smiling at Christopher's compliment. "I don't really have the time."

Christopher rolls his eyes. "Like I haven't heard that one before." He props his elbows on the table and tilts his head slightly, observing her with his cool, intelligent eyes. "Yep." He nods. "You're definitely a closeted romantic. I just get those vibes from you, you know what I mean? So, are you one of those crazy Jane Austen fans? I bet you secretly have one of those lists that are filled with expectations for your perfect dream boy. Isn't it?" He stares intently at her and Ridley squirms, thinking about that one time she'd made a 'Things to expect from my Gilbert Blythe' list. It was awful and she'd immediately ripped it up afterwards, thinking it very silly and childish. Upon seeing her face flush, Christopher slams his hand down on the table and roars with laughter. "I knew it!" he yells gleefully.

He's still giggling and teasing her when Delilah, or Dee as she forces everyone to call her, slides into the table booth with three cups of steaming hot cocoas. Ridley shoots her a look of plea and Dee glances sharply at Christopher who is now pinching his nose in an attempt to control himself.