Befriending Gilbert Blythe

September 2004 

Ridley brushes her hair back and stares at her reflection in the mirror, just like she did all those years ago, on her first day of school. Except she isn't a little, ugly squirt anymore. Ridley knows her looks have improved. Her face isn't as freckled as it used to be, and Ridley's thankfully inherited her mother's good teeth so she shouldn't worry about getting braces.

Adolescence is doing her well. Ridley knows she'll never be as pretty or as smart as Marcy, but it's a start.

She can't believe she's going to turn eleven in three months. She can't believe she's finally in Year Six. Just one more year and she'll finally go to Secondary school. Ridley won't have to deal with all the girls in her class who bully her relentlessly for having a weird, alcoholic father, and a sister who dropped out of college because she wanted to pursue a different career. 

 They're just jealous, Marcy always reassures her, but if they give you any trouble, just tell me okay? I'll sort them straight.

Ridley goes down the stairs and sees Marcy busily preparing breakfast for her. Marcy's discovered she's a really good cook, and used up all the money stocked up for her Uni to take cooking classes. Now, she's a professional. Marcy's hoping to get a job in a restaurant as a chef or something, but she's currently a waitress working in a dodgy pub down the street. Still, the money she earns puts food on the table, and Ridley will be forever grateful for that.

Marcy smiles at her little sister and pushes a plate of fried eggs and toast towards her. Ridley thanks her and sits down to eat.

"Dad still down at the pub?" Ridley asks as she gobbles down her fried eggs. She's always been a bit of a pig when it comes to eating food. But it's pretty hard not be greedy when you don't know when your next meal is going to be.

Marcy nods wearily.

"He's completely drunk," Marcy tells her. "I tried to bring him home but he wouldn't budge. I didn't want to cause a scene so I just left. But we won't have to put up with this anymore—Phil's found us a small flat we can live in. It's the cheapest in the entire neighbourhood. It's really crappy, but I think we can make do for now. Just the two of us, Rids, won't we?"

 Ridley sighs and stops eating. Phil is Marcy's boyfriend. He's been her fifth one this year, and he's seven years older than her—it isn't that Marcy means to have so many boyfriends—she just needs someone who helps her out with stuff, like paying the bills and things. Anyway, Phil's quite nice—despite being a bit creepy. He's got a lot of friends and one of them is an estate agent. Marcy thought it would be a good idea to ask Phil if he could fix her up with a flat for a cheap price. 

"Anyway," Marcy smiles, "it's your first day as a year six. Excited? I remember I was, but mind you, it's not as nice as they say it is."

 Ridley grins drily. Always one to say positive things, Marcy is. After breakfast, she helps Marcy clear up and heads out of their house, which is now in an absolutely terrible state, especially the garden, which needs much tending to (as their bossy neighbour Mrs. Moore constantly reminds them). Ridley ticks off the days she will have to wait till her next summer holidays. They're not particularly enjoyable, but they're tolerable, if dad's not home. When he is, he's nearly always slumped on the sofa, shit-faced, with drool hanging off his chin. When dad isn't drunk, he just stares in to space, face in his hands. Ridley can hear him cry sometimes but, as Marcy has advised, doesn't bother trying to ask him about it.  

The trip to school is so familiar, Ridley could probably walk all the way there with her eyes closed. She always walks alone, and from time to time she sees a girl with a mop of greasy hair walk past her. The girl always acknowledges her with a hesitant smile but never approaches her at school, which is fine with Ridley. She doubts the greasy-haired girl has any friends herself, but anyone ranging from the popular children to the outsiders knows Ridley is off limits. A freak. A lone wolf. Someone who will guarantee you as another target for bullies if you so much as smile at her.