8

Something shook the ground. The silence broke between the royals. 

     "He knows," Fawn said, getting a weird feeling the demon was here. They exited the shipwreck, swimming to the surface. Fawn had decided not to ask the twins for help, she didn't want them to get hurt and she didn't know of their abilities. She needed Mari.

 Interrupting her thoughts, red tentacles split the water sending ripples and giant waves everywhere. The lily pad full of the Ocean Empire's inhabitants screamed. Kids wailed and cried while adults ran around, gathering their supplies as the lily pad rocked them violently back and forth. 

     "Get everyone together! Rivendell will-" Fawn was pushed under a huge wave. She flew back up. "Have shelter!" She coughed. Lizzie and Joel disappeared beneath the waves and Fawn made her way to a small lily pad. She hoisted herself on. Lizzie was carefully gliding through the water, pulling Joel behind her. A hard blast of water threw Fawn off her standing place.

   "AH!" she screamed as her back hit the water hard. She was tossed and turned. She caught a glimmer of dark pink hair beneath the water. Mari? She thought. A figure appeared where she saw the hair. It was a girl with brunette hair, a regal looking stare and she was graceful in the waves. Her gaze turned to Fawn. Fawn pushed herself up. Mari was part axolotl, so she could breathe underwater for around an hour before needing air. Fawn took a huge gasp of air. She searched for the girl beneath the water again but the only trace left of her was bubbles. Many boats left the Ocean Empire, Fawn followed close behind, a strong swimmer after all of her years of visiting her friend. Her arms were strong. She cut through the water beautifully. She turned to swim on her back, staring at the now corrupted Empires.

She had to find her friends, and fast.

..:^:..

     At last, the large group of people and animals made their way to Mezalea. On the shore of sand that mixed to terracotta, everyone collapsed in exhaustion. Although they were in boats, they were only rowboats in order not to pollute the ocean. Fawn was surprisingly not tired at all.

     "I'd only stay here for a contained amount of time. The corruption will spread. Head to Rivendell, it's safe there, I promise," Fawn instructed Lizzie and Joel. They were handing out towels to some wetter villagers. 

     "Be safe, Fawn," Joel said, almost as if to assure her she was going to succeed. The couple gave her a quick hug before she ran off.

     "Oceans blessings!" Lizzie called after her, watching as she dashed into the trees, not too far in the distance.

..:^:..

     Fawn sat herself on a log, positioned to look over a body of water surrounded by forestation. She sighed heavily. The peaks of amethyst roofs sprouting through the clouds. She hoped Spencer and Cliff could help her. She hopped down from her perch and jumped from rock to rock, descending the small riff of land.  Fawn entered the small hut Spencer and Cliff shared.

    "Hello?" She called. Cliff poked his head from around a corner, Spencer following suit.

     "Fawn!" They cried in unison.

     "King Scott is worried about you," Cliff told the girl innocently. Fawn gulped, a knot forming in her throat.  

     "Yeah...I know." Fawn looked at her toes. She looked up again. "I need your help. The demon...we need to stop it and I think I know how. I was hoping you'd know what I mean?"

Spencer nodded, "We've found stuff. Are Mari and Ty with you? We haven't seen them either." Fawn shook her head, the knot growing bigger. 

     "We'll go with you," Cliff said, grabbing her hand. Fawn smiled, feeling comforted.