3 Assisting

The next day, Jotaro gave me orders. We were to arrive at the destination separately. Stand across the street and monitor his surroundings. Since I had to be sneaky, I wore my normal outfit to blend in rather than a SPW uniform.

Easy enough.

Jotaro met up with this man with tall white hair, who I knew was Polnareff. They sat at an outdoor cafe's table.

I went into a store with a wide front window to see them well.

There was one more thing I had to do. Monitor the people going by and making sure none of them were snooping.

Everything was starting out fine as a few people came in to the street minding their own businesses. I had no reason to use my stand.

Why Jotaro thought talking about their business in public was a good idea? I had no idea myself. I began questioning him more as people began cluttering the streets.

I sighed annoyed, "Pierce The Veil, let's go."

This was going to be a long two hours.

My stand sighed and crossed it's arms as it emerged from me. My stand flew from me to one of the closest people to Jotaro and Polnareff.

Suddenly, I was able to see through his eyes. The person's eyes was focusing on his flip phone texting. It seemed like he was texting someone about school.

I moved to someone else. He was focusing on staring at a window. He seemed very interested in a few things for sale. He was window shopping.

I moved to a woman who was talking to another at a table nearby. I observed between them as they talked amongst themselves for a little bit.

I continued on for about a couple of hours as people came and went. I also moved around to not to seem too suspicious. Everything seemed to be going smooth.

My attention turned back to the two men as I withdrew my stand. They were both standing up. Polnareff embraced Jotaro in a tight hug, then he left.

Jotaro sat back down this time alone. He looked around. He was searching for me.

I came from around the corner where he wasn't looking. When I got close to his table, he saw me.

"Hi," I simply said as I sat down in the chair that Polnareff was using before.

"Was there anyone snooping?" He was quick to business.

"If there was, I would've let you know," I shrugged.

He glanced at me as if he was telling me to tell it to him straight. His intense eyes bore into me from under the shade of his white hat.

"No," I replied. "No one was suspicious. It's fine."

"Good."

I fanned myself despite it not being much help. "Man, it's really hot." How could you wear that coat out here?"

He sipped his drink and didn't answer.

Or maybe that was his answer.

Suddenly, a waiter sat a cup in front of me.

"Oh," I said. "I didn't order this."

"I did," Jotaro said. He nodded to the man, "Thanks."

The waiter nodded back and left the drink to me.

"Thank you, Jotaro... Sir," I said. I drunk the cold drink and exhaled satisfied.

He nodded and said, "And you can stop trying and failing to being polite at random. Just be casual. It will be annoying while working with me."

I nearly spat my drink out as I said, "Really? I will be working under you?" That was quite fast after just this morning. What was that all about?

"More like working with me," he clarified. "Just don't do what you don't think you can."

What does that even mean? Well, at least, I work under -no- with Jotaro.

Whoa.

I said, "But I have to ask: what made you make this decision?"

He answered, "You didn't know I ordered the drink for you."

"What do you mean?"

He explained, "You didn't needlessly eavesdrop on me, so you didn't know about the drink. I prefer that over anything."

I had no idea if I was jumping to conclusions, but I think he was trying to say he trusted me.

With that in mind, I wondered what was in store for me.

2 Years Later (cuz I'm tired of this arc)

I came to my desk and found a note. It was from Jotaro saying: 'At my office at 13:00.'

I checked the time, and I had about five minutes. I sighed, "What is up with this guy and human contact?"

I left my office to go to Jotaro's office.

We were still in Africa at the time. I've gotten used to the headquarters there, but I almost missed home. I hoped that it wasn't obvious. I was the type to keep Jotaro in place emotionally when I could. Talking about stuff really does wonders. I was hoping I was still doing a good job after all this time.

I got used to working with Jotaro often as he had his own Marine Biologist work other times. Sometimes I felt like he was a workaholic. He needed a break.

When I arrived, I found his door closed. Before knocking, I could hear little chattering as if it from his phone. His phone was on the highest setting as usual. It took a while to get used to.

It was a little girl's voice. It was Jolyne. She sounded upset.

"Sorry, Jojo," he said. "I have to go."

There was more chattering, but he hung up, shutting her down.

Ouch. I knew he wasn't much into arguments, but that was just painful to hear.

He would tell me about many things, but he never brought up his daughter. I didn't dare ask. He didn't talk about himself much. Just about everything else going on. I learned after a couple of years of working with him, I really cared about him. Yes, I cared about his well-being from the getgo, but it was something deeper I couldn't explain.

Finally, I knocked on the door.

"Come in," Jotaro called.

I came into the office.

Jotaro just sat down at his chair at his desk. His sleeves to his black shirt were rolled up to his forearms. A few scars peeked from underneath. I didn't see him in short sleeves, so maybe that was his compromise.

He said, "I'm here to debrief you about our trip to South America."

Yet another hot continent.

I sat down in front of his desk. "Okay, cool." Or hot.

Jotaro told me the plans of our month long trip. There were some stand users running amuck, and there might be a possibility of another stand arrow being there. Then he ended with, "Since there isn't much space, we might be sharing a hotel room. I just wanted you to be prepared."

"We might be sharing a what?"

He didn't repeat himself. "If you want, when there's a room available, I can move to another room."

"It's fine," I said. I added teasing him, "I bet you will be a delight to be around."

He exhaled with something to equivalent as a laugh.

It's not like it's going to be pure torture.